Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hello every one. Being a crazy person i get crazy idea's i think only a few people will be able to tell me if this is possible or not... so ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

multimedia HDD Runing Linux

Hello every one.

Being a crazy person i get crazy idea's
    i think only a few people will be able to tell me if this is possible or not... so here's my question :

I have a multi media box were i can put a IDE hard drive it has its own firmware pre installed "the box is a memup LX series" so i say to my self hey this thing has a mini os installed y not change thing up a bit and put a linux mini core or what...

So do you think i will be possible to run a Linux on it or not ???

Thank Gnu for any response you can give me...

I can be found either 40 miles west of Chicago, or in a galaxy far, far away.
    Time to put on your hacking hat. If you have a spare IDE drive around that you can install a live distribution, then swap with the current system drive (I don't suppose it has a boot-from-usb option?), it may be possible. The thing about live installations is that they are configured to run on just about anything. If that works, you are half-way there.
    Sometimes, real fast is almost as good as real time.
    Just remember, Semper Gumbi - always be flexible!

Just Joined!
    no boot from usb as its only meant to be a media HDD.

Only way i see this working is that i swap the firmware's boot with a Linux one...

That and i'm wondering if it will be able to run a Linux "ram, cpu..."

I can be found either 40 miles west of Chicago, or in a galaxy far, far away.
    A lot of times these little multimedia boxes are already running some version of Linux. If it has a network port, you might try to telnet or ssh into it.
    Sometimes, real fast is almost as good as real time.
    Just remember, Semper Gumbi - always be flexible!