Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hi! New to the forum, first post, I know my way around computers but I have always used Windows. Heres why I need help I tried Ubuntu live from the ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

After many tries, no successful install of any linux distro

Hi! New to the forum, first post, I know my way around computers but I have always used Windows.

Heres why I need help
    I tried Ubuntu live from the CD and it worked fine, sound, display and networking worked fine without me installing any drivers. I decided to install it for real on the HDD, it fails every time. So far, I have tried ubuntu, opensuse and fedora.

Heres why I looked into linux in the first place:
    the machine in question is old (1.3GHz celeron processor, 512mb of RAM 128mb graphics)
    It will not install any new OS than XP SP1, it even fails to install SP2 through windows update or manually from the microsoft website or as a fresh install.

I updated the BIOS from the Intel website and the same problem persists.
    I really like linux and if I can get used to it on this machine then I'll probably install it on my main machine too which is currently running W7.

512MB of ram is a little too light with the newer Ubuntu with Unity or Gnome. Just my opinion though.

This might work out better for you

as well as

DistroWatch.com: Fluxbuntu Linux

DistroWatch.com: antiX

DistroWatch.com: SliTaz GNU/Linux

DistroWatch.com: Bodhi Linux

DistroWatch.com: Joli OS

DistroWatch.com: moonOS

DistroWatch.com: Pinguy OS

DistroWatch.com: wattOS

DistroWatch.com: Zorin OS

Just to name a few
    So take your pick. I'm sure other members here can suggest others depending on your computer skill sets.
    Linux Registered User # 475019
    Lead,Follow, or get the heck out of the way. I Have a Masters in Raising Hell
    Tech Books
    Free Linux Books
    Newbie Guide
    Courses at Home

Registered Linux user #526930

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Just Joined!
    Hi,

Thanks for the replies.

I tried Lubuntu and Xubuntu since posting, they both freeze up.
    Lubuntu gives some kind of graphical error which is different each time, its just coloured lines and Xubuntu freezes with the xubuntu logo showing after I use the try it feature or even trying to go straight to the install.

I don't understand what I'm doing wrong and what to try next.
    Any ideas are very appreciated.

If anyone is wondering,
    Mobo: Intel D815EEA2
    CPU: Intel Celeron 1.3GHz (single core tualatin)
    RAM 512Mb (max the mobo will take)
    GPU: nvidia geforce 5200fx 128 (best AGP card i could get)
    HDD: 80Gb hitachi PATA

Try a text based installer, Debian will do for this. The XFCE version will do and should work on the system you have. When you boot the CD you have options to use txt based installer.

The other thing you could try is changing the boot parameters and stop the live CD using a splash screen ...

Just Joined!
    Hi everyone,

Tried Vector linux, same problems persisted, I tried again but on the installation screen I pressed F6 (or something) and ticked some options, I think one was something like "no acpi" etc. and it installed!

It works well, very fast. I've already had my first experience changing settings (just display resolution and refresh rate). Next thing I need to learn is how to install new software as the Firefox on it is out dated.

Thanks for all the help and I hope my description may help someone else in the future so if anyone knows what may have caused it to work after enabling/disabling some options please post because I'd be interested to know too

Is this a laptop? Disabling ACPI can have harmful effects on a laptop by not activating the fans and things like that.
    I do not respond to private messages asking for Linux help, Please keep it on the forums only.
    All new users please read this.** Forum FAQS. ** Adopt an unanswered post.

I'd rather be lost at the lake than found at home.

Just Joined!
    Quote Originally Posted by kuklor View Post

If anyone is wondering,
    Mobo: Intel D815EEA2
    CPU: Intel Celeron 1.3GHz (single core tualatin)
    RAM 512Mb (max the mobo will take)
    GPU: nvidia geforce 5200fx 128 (best AGP card i could get)
    HDD: 80Gb hitachi PATA
    So no, its not a laptop - could it still have undesired effects on a desktop?
    As far as I know, fan speed is controlled by BIOS unless the BIOS has a feature to bypass it and control it through the OS using something like speedfan in windows.

I think for a desktop model it should be fine. You probably won't be able to hibernate or suspend/resume.
    I do not respond to private messages asking for Linux help, Please keep it on the forums only.
    All new users please read this.** Forum FAQS. ** Adopt an unanswered post.

I'd rather be lost at the lake than found at home.

Just Joined!
    Thats a sacrifice I'm willing to make!

Maybe my successful installation wasn't because of that change in the options and something else but I don't remember.