Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
I used the win32loader. I selected text install and Squeeze. It james in detecting disk drives and other hardware. I reboot using REISUB. Using text based installer. Specs=1gb ram,1.67 ghz ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Debian INSTALL PROBLEMS ON AN OLD COMPUTER

I used the win32loader. I selected text install and Squeeze. It james in detecting disk drives and other hardware. I reboot using REISUB. Using text based installer.
    Specs=1gb ram,1.67 ghz processor and GeForce Ti 4200. Two Maxtor HDDs and two cd dvd drives(one plextor mplexwriter and one LG supermulti) HELP! I cant stand windows!
    EDIT=It gets through the percentages but it cant find the disks. They are partitioned into 8 parts. one 1s 80GB and one is 160GB. Should It ake off one disk and try then?(by burning debian .iso?)
    EDITEDIT: Should I delete all partitionsand start wth a blank drive? I own Puppy and DSL. I'll get Debian image and burn it.
    Last edited by sportcrazy60; 05-21-2011 at 01:39 PM.

Linux Guru
    Your post is pretty vague about what you are actually doing. What is "win32loader" and how does it fit in here? The specs you post should be good enough to run Debian. When you say "It james" did you just mispell jams? If it doesn't detect your hard drives and other hardware the installation won't work.

It gets through the percentages but it cant find the disks
    What percentages? The install progress?

Just Joined!
    Quote Originally Posted by yancek View Post
    Your post is pretty vague about what you are actually doing. What is "win32loader" and how does it fit in here? The specs you post should be good enough to run Debian. When you say "It james" did you just mispell jams? If it doesn't detect your hard drives and other hardware the installation won't work.

What percentages? The install progress?

Win 32loader.exe is the filename for the Windows installer.
    It jams.
    It does not detect my hard drives. I'll try it off an ISO disk. I have the bigger one out. I could try getting rid ot the partitions in Puppy.
    EDIT: The percentages are the detection percentage: It jumps from 0 to 95% and then it says something about drivers.

Just Joined!
    I have found out that ANY linux distro cannot access my disks....

Just Joined!
    I think what you are doing is trying to do an install with a live CD while Windows is running, you need to boot your computer with the live CD in your drive and ensure that your box is set up to boot from your CD/DVD drive as first choice which may need resetting in your bios menu.

Just Joined!
    I tried win32 loader. Didnt work. Tried burning and bootinng from CD. Didnt work.

Just Joined!
    Try unplugging most of the hard drives except the one where your mbr is (that is the drive where Windows is installed) and the one where you will install linux. I do not understand the bit about drivers that is a windows term linux does not use drivers. Try using another distro Simply Mepis 8.5 is good and debian based I have 4 HD's with it and no detection problems, although I do not have any MS software in my box

Linux Guru
    I googled win32loader.exe. Found the site below. Is this what you are using?

ftp://mirror.stanford.edu/debian/too...n32-loader.txt

I read a little of it but have no plans to use it so...Do you have an internet connection?

Just Joined!
    Yes.
    Itgives the udevd worker (usually [65]) failed while handling (something)
    with ubuntu cd/dvd/wubi, the debian cd/dvd/win32loader.exe.
    No Linux flavor can access the disk drive.
    I swapped them so my hdds are in the primary ide(before that it was in secondary ide) i read somewhere that might help.I'll try win32loader again drom goodbye-microsoft.com.I'll message here if it gives me the udevd error.

Just Joined!
    It sounds like a kernel udev conflict might be worth considering check udevd on wikipedia, I cannot post a link cause I have not made 15 posts apparently, there are many distros out there that will work also you will get much more current info if you go directly to a distro specific forum. To be honest as a purist I would steer clear of using an .exe file to do anything

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast