Find the answer to your Linux question:
Any assistance would be appreciated. This is one weird problem. PC: 10 year old with 1.4GHz Athlon chip, 512 RAM, 620 G hard drive. CD-rom drive, no dvd drive. BIOS ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Installation of Distro which is >800mb

Any assistance would be appreciated. This is one weird problem.
    PC: 10 year old with 1.4GHz Athlon chip, 512 RAM, 620 G hard drive. CD-rom drive, no dvd drive. BIOS does not have the option of booting from USB. Do have 4 2.0 USB ports.

Want to install a 954 MB Linux OS (Mint XFCE). Currently have Linux Mint 11 installed and the XFCE iso on the HD in downloads and can copy it to an 8 G stick.

Can add Windows XP SP2 (and upgrade to SP3) and partition and format HD about any way but loose. Have tried both Unetbootin and PLOP with lousy results.

Would really appreciate some simple instructions as to how to install Linux Mint XFCE. I'm not the sharpest knife in the Linux drawer.

Assistance would be appreciated as I'd really like to try Linux Mint's rolling distro before putting it on my main computer. And I don't wish to put any bucks into my 10 year old computer.

Thanks,
    Dick

How did you install Linux Mint 11? Have you tried installing unetbootin on Mint 11 and let unetbootin install the latest version for you? What was the problem with unetbootin?
    I do not respond to private messages asking for Linux help, Please keep it on the forums only.
    All new users please read this.** Forum FAQS. ** Adopt an unanswered post.

I'd rather be lost at the lake than found at home.

Just Joined!
    Thanks for the reply.
    I installed Linux Mint 11 via the iso on cd which is less than 700 mb and then upgraded to the dvd version on line via the upgrade link provided by Mint 11.
    My problems with Unetbootin included the "loss" of Grub so XFCE would not boot as well as the install wiped my hard drive. i installed from my 8 g stick Unetbootin per Windows XP SP2. The Linux Unetbooten completely confused and perplexed me despite instructions from the site. As I mentioned, I ain't the sharpest knife in the Linux drawer.
    Help, please. I'm willing to install through Mint 11, but i wanted a bit of encouragement and confirmation that it could be done before I tried.
    Dick

. Have tried both Unetbootin and PLOP with lousy results.
    I have used a Plop Floppy to boot AntiX 11 on pendrive with unetbootin on Laptops with no usb 1.1 bios boot support. Mint might be different, or your hardware difference may be to blame for above quote. Not sure since no details provided.

Maybe because I used my floppy is the difference here.
    Linux Registered User # 475019
    Lead,Follow, or get the heck out of the way. I Have a Masters in Raising Hell
    Tech Books
    Free Linux Books
    Newbie Guide
    Courses at Home

My problems with Unetbootin included the "loss" of Grub so XFCE would not boot as well as the install wiped my hard drive
    Sounds like you installed unetbootin to the wrong drive. Unetbootin is supposed to be installed to external Pendrive. Sounds like you pointed it to internal hardrive instead.
    Linux Registered User # 475019
    Lead,Follow, or get the heck out of the way. I Have a Masters in Raising Hell
    Tech Books
    Free Linux Books
    Newbie Guide
    Courses at Home

Just Joined!

Thanks

You know, not knowing any better or failing to understand the instructions, I did install Unetbootin to the hard drive.
    I'll let you know the results.
    Dick

Linux Guru
    If you have Linux Mint 11 installed with its Grub2 bootloader, you should be able to boot your Mint/XFCE iso image from Grub2. There are numerous sites explaining this. Just google "boot iso image on hard drive from Grub2" or something similar. Try reading the link below:

ISO Booting with Grub 2 - Ubuntu Forums