Find the answer to your Linux question:
I'm trying to install Debian 6.0.1a on a Dell OptiPlex with intel 82579 ethernet. Netinst says "no ethernet card detected". I tried choosing e1000e, eepro, 82596, still no go. Any ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

debian 6.0.1a install on Optiplex w/ intel 82579 ethernet

I'm trying to install Debian 6.0.1a on a Dell OptiPlex with intel 82579 ethernet. Netinst says "no ethernet card detected". I tried choosing e1000e, eepro, 82596, still no go. Any suggestions?

"no ethernet card detected".
    Maybe kernel is to blame. I would try booting a live

kanotix.com :: GNU Linux Live system based on Debian, optimized for HD-install and high performance

or

http://antix.mepis.org/index.php?title=Main_Page

base or core iso.

Depending on what you are comfortable with (between KDE, Icewm,Fluxbox, lot's of packages, hardly any packages). To test your ethernet card while running live.

Also. Is md5sum check verified?
    Linux Registered User # 475019
    Lead,Follow, or get the heck out of the way
    Tech Books
    Free Linux Books
    Newbie Guide
    Courses at Home

I can be found either 40 miles west of Chicago, or in a galaxy far, far away.
    Intel has linux drivers for this adapter. Try here, and select linux for the operating system: http://downloadcenter.intel.com/Sear...net+Controller
    Sometimes, real fast is almost as good as real time.
    Just remember, Semper Gumbi - always be flexible!

Just Joined!
    My experience with all the 3 Optiplex I bought (used) during the last 3 years:
    Let me introduce myself first.
    I am an intermediate Debian user and an advaced electronics technician.

When Dell built these Optiplex they used by accident a bad batch of capacitors. (Those little black cans on the motherboard)
    I have seen this problems with the models GX-260, GX-270 and GX-280 in the past.
    The 3 machine I bought used in 2008 and 2009 were GX-270. All 3 of them had expanded (Top blown up a bit) capacitors.
    Those capacitors are used to stabilize the power near several components. Those caps that are defective will cause the switching noise from other components to travel on the power distribution affecting the proper operation of the board; hope fully they will not short the power. What will happen all depends where the defective caps are located and how bad they are.
    So if you see any capacitor top that is leaking or is not absolutely flat your problem may come from there.

I have seen one of those GX-270 with one leaked capacitor that worked for 18 months. Then one day upon boot up
    the system bios reported the main fan was not working and the bios did shut the machine down before the boot loader showed up. The fan was verified and was running. When I opened the casing
    9 capacitor located between the CPU and the audio chip were blown. I replaced the blown capacitors and the problem was solved.
    It is not an easy job to remove those from the board ,you need the appropriate equipment. If you are not confortable with this kind of repair do not intend to do it yourself you may damage your board.
    Considerations:
    Let an experienced electronic technician do it.
    Make sure you replace those with the same temperature specification or better,otherwise the new caps won't last very long. You could use a little bigger caps (more capacity) but consider the dimension so you can physically fit them in. Also make sure they are of he right vlotage rating and last make sure you respect the polarity when installing. If you go wrong with this last one the capacitor installed reversed may blow up (like a fire cracker) in the first few minute after power is applied. Don't put you nose near by. I mean:close the casing before power up, an error is always possible.

Check inside your box attentively and hopefully it is Ok and you just have an incompatible driver. Let us know.