Find the answer to your Linux question:
I have a new pc with a 120gb hard drive. I installed win98 on it first, and then loaded partition magic on it and went thru the setup wizard for ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Linux Newbie

partition experts .......please help!

I have a new pc with a 120gb hard drive. I installed win98 on it first, and then loaded partition magic on it and went thru the setup wizard for a dual boot system so i could have windows and linux (suse 9.1 pro) Something went wrong, as when i rebooted, windows wouldnt work anymore. So i pop in my suse disk 1 and it started installing, so I went thru the install and everyting went well, I let suse set the partitions for me. It is running great and i wish i had never put windows on it in the first place. When i go in yast and look at my partition setup, it looks like this,

/dev/hdc 114.4gb 6y120po
    /dev/hdc1 58.6gb win95 fat32lba
    /dev/hdc2 55.8gb extended
    /dev/hdc5 18.6gb win95 fat32 lba/windows/c
    /dev/hdc/6 1008.4mb linux swap
    /dev/hdc7 36.2gb linux native /

My question is this, does this setup look right to take advantage of all the space on my hard drive or do i need to re-arrange some things. I thought maybe formating the drive again and re-installing suse, but that may not do anything different. I am still a newbie to linux, but if i understand this right /dev/hdc7 is my main linux partition and its only showing 36.2gb. I thought I only needed one main partition and a swap partition, so /dev/hdc7 should have the 120gb and not 36.2gb.
    What do you guys suggest i do?

Linux Engineer
    I personaly dont think you should have a 120Gb partition... Partitionning his there for a reason...
    put your backup files on one, a drive that you dload everything... that get fragmented a lot but nothings running on it...

you 2 windows partition left are
    /dev/hdc1
    /dev/hdc5
    these 2 could serve you well...
    if you dont want to use windows well put one a a dload Partition.
    the other one for backing up file..

this is only a setup I personnaly use... and im pretty sure lots will approuve this. This way, you can re-install the whole thing without redloading everything over and over... Backup can be your ghost, your personnal files, your browser settings, favorites, backup of email program,... and so on!

You can always set 1 big partition... But from my experience... its nice to be able to have access to my backup partition when nothing elses working...
    \"Meditative mind\'s is like a vast ocean... whatever strikes the surface, the bottom stays calm\" - Dalai Lama
    \"Competition ultimatly comes down to one thing... a loser and a winner.\" - Ugo Deschamps

Linux Newbie
    Hey thanks! Do I need to reconfigure the type of partition /dev/hdc1 & hdc5 are, (change them to linux) or can I use them the way its setup now?

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Linux Engineer
    you could always let them like that...
    I would consider, if you have a multi platform network, to let 1 partition in FAT32 since both windows and Linux can Read/Write on this file system

otherwise linux partition will give you a lot better speed and management.
    \"Meditative mind\'s is like a vast ocean... whatever strikes the surface, the bottom stays calm\" - Dalai Lama
    \"Competition ultimatly comes down to one thing... a loser and a winner.\" - Ugo Deschamps

Linux Enthusiast
    If your not using windows, make the download partition ext3, then you won't have to worry about fragmentation.
    I personally use a partition for Windows XP (almost never use), a partition for Linux, a partition for downloads (i download anime, so i need a huge amount of storage space), a partition for random stuff on linux, a SWAP partition, and i'm going to add another linux partition for when i install gentoo. I also plan on adding something to the SCSI drive.
    1st drive: 80GB
    1 - Windows XP (NTFS,22GB)
    2 - Linux - Fedora Core 3 (EXT3, 26GB)

2nd drive: 160GB
    1 - Download/Data partition (FAT32, 155GB)
    2 - Random stuff for linux (EXT3, 6GB)

3rd drive: 8GB (SCSI)
    1 - Linux SWAP (SWAP, 1GB)
    Emotions are the key to the soul.
    Registered Linux User #375050