Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hi, I've messed around with fair few distros recently and finally decided to install a super-slimmed down Debian with XCFE4. What I'm wondering is which partitions should go on which ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Which partitions to make on which drives for maximum performance?

Hi,

I've messed around with fair few distros recently and finally decided to install a super-slimmed down Debian with XCFE4.

What I'm wondering is which partitions should go on which drives.

Basically, I've got an EEE PC 900 with 2x SSDs. One is 4GB (And I think is slightly quicker) which the OS boots from and the other one is 16GB which is where all your files go.

At first I installed the OS and all associated files onto the small one and just had the 16GB as one big /home (and a swap) but completely failed to realise that that would leave absolutely no space for applications whatsoever (And sure enough, after only installing the basics, it ran out of space).

So I re-installed it, but this time I only mounted / on the smaller drive and everything else (/bin, /usr etc etc...) onto the larger SSD thinking that this would leave loads more space for applications.

This worked ok but applications seem to be taking a good while to load. Much longer than they did on the small SSD.

So basically, what would be the best option for me partition-wise so that I have enough room to install the applications I want with the best performance?

Did a search on here and on the web but there doesn't seem to be anything about it.

Cheers

To be honest, when it comes down to "best partitioning" it's entirely dependent on what you will use/where thigns will go.

If you have a folder that yuo KNOW will be < 4GB, put that on the 4GB SSD, and probably SWAP on there too (you want SWAP access as fast as possible). and then maybe put everything else on the 16GB SSD.

They're awkward size drives to have to mess about with really
    "I am not an alcoholic, alcoholics go to meetings"
    Registered Linux user = #372327

Just Joined!
    since you have SSDs it does not really matters where you put things. The SSDs are solid drives and there's no delay regardless of the size of the SSD.

I'd keep the swap separated from another partition that will be under high load though

Quote Originally Posted by ioanna83 View Post
    The SSDs are solid drives and there's no delay regardless of the size of the SSD.
    Why did I not think of this! After all the research i've put into them, I forgot to mention the main advantage of them over regular drives ><
    "I am not an alcoholic, alcoholics go to meetings"
    Registered Linux user = #372327