Find the answer to your Linux question:
a doc concerning install mplayer in redhat, I have tried install using rpm packages, but the dependencies problems piss me off ! I forced install the mplayer-0.90-1.i386.rpm, but when I ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Linux User

mplayer installation help! could any please help me to find-

a doc concerning install mplayer in redhat, I have tried install using rpm packages, but the dependencies problems piss me off ! I forced install the mplayer-0.90-1.i386.rpm, but when I try to force the mplayer-common-0.90-1.i386.rpm, it just stops in the terminal without any respond, tried to find help in the mplayer! site, well, all I got was some swearing.

thanks
    Signature removed by moderator - please see forum rules

Linux Guru
    Don't use the RPMs for MPlayer. You'll get much better optimization if you compile it from source instead, anyway.

Linux Enthusiast
    what distro and version are you using?

Linux User
    redhat 9.0
    compliing? oh, ok, i will try that one, thanks!
    Signature removed by moderator - please see forum rules

Linux Engineer
    Dolda,

Do you know where the realplayer codecs should go? The documentation page says to store it in the standard location. Would that be /usr/lib/win32 or the source directory?
    The best things in life are free.

Linux Guru
    I don't know where the standard location is, but it's possible to specify the location to MPlayer's configure script. I have them in /usr/local/lib/mplayer/rp8codecs. I then configure MPlayer with:
    Code:
    ./configure --enable-gui --with-reallibdir=/usr/local/lib/mplayer/rp8codecs/ --enable-qtx-codecs
    I know that it's not easy to remember the configuration options, so, actually, I have stored them in a file that I call configuration, and then I call configure like this:
    Code:
    ./configure `cat configuration`

Linux Engineer
    I see. The Mplayer docs weren't very clear about it but I left all my codecs inside /usr/lib/win32/. I know I didn't enable that option during the './configure' so it looks like I'll have to build it again. Thanks for the help.
    The best things in life are free.