Find the answer to your Linux question:
I just installed Linux for the first time, Mandrake 9.1 to be exact. I used downloaded ISO files and everything went fine. I went to boot up in linux for ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Linux User

Just installed, have a couple of questions

I just installed Linux for the first time, Mandrake 9.1 to be exact. I used downloaded ISO files and everything went fine. I went to boot up in linux for the first time and I got a message saying I have a boot disc virus or some such thing and it asked me if I wanted to continue my boot or get more information. It told me to get rid of it to put a bootable floppy in the drive and reboot. First of all, I installed Linux on a brand new hard drive and the floppy doesn't seem to work with the new drive. If I take it out, the floppy works fine. Second of all, does anyone know anything about this so called virus and what can I do to get rid of it besides what it tells me to do. It's really quite annoying, and hopefully not harmful. Thanks...

Linux Newbie
    Go into your bios and look around for an option to turn off check for virus.
    It thinks that lilo/grub is a virus that has installed itself on the mbr.

Linux User
    Will leaving the virus on the computer really hurt it at all. Should I be careful doing something in the future? Oh yeah, I forgot to add my second question. I have a lot of mp3's on my other hard drive that I would like to have on the linux drive very much. How would I go about transerfing them, would I have to do it in windows? Or can I just get linux to recognize the other drive and transfer them that way. Thanks...

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Linux Enthusiast
    if it's the trend chipaway virus detection, just disable it in the bios

you can see your music or any other windows files while in linux
    it depends on your filesystem though
    is it fat32 or ntfs?

see my guide on helpful tips for more info.

link is below.

Linux User
    Ok thanks a lot. Im not quite sure the file system, I'm pretty sure its NTFS. I'll check your website some more, it looks pretty good. One last newbie question: where did my reboot options go?. The first time I logged off and clicked reboot it gave me some options, but now those options appeared to have dissapeared. Any suggestions?

Linux Newbie
    Its not a virus, loads of older virii (back in dos days) used to write themselves to the mbr to avoid being deleted. I dont think this happens much these days, outlook does a pretty good job of propagating virii.

Both lilo and grub write to the mbr and the bios sees this and thinks it is virus activity. I have seen this a few times myself.

As for your second question, what filesystem is it ?
    Windows uses either vfat (fat32) or ntfs, both work well although support for ntfs at the moment is read only.

Check the mount man page, the mount command has the option to specify what type of filesystem to mount. You need to have support for the filesystem though (either as a modules or in the kernel).