Find the answer to your Linux question:
I have a problem with a kernel upgrade and/or rpm that is driving me nuts. Here is the history: 1. Installed Red Hat 8.0 on new computer with Soltek motherboard. ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Unsuccessful Kernel Upgrade

I have a problem with a kernel upgrade and/or rpm that is driving me nuts. Here is the history:

• 1. Installed Red Hat 8.0 on new computer with Soltek motherboard.

2. RH8 boots and runs, but on board network does not work. Missing drivers? Nvidia chips.

3. Downloaded upgraded kernel for RH8 from Nvidia web site.

4. Installed kernel upgrade using rpm. Appears successful.

5. Rebooted system, but grub boot loader shows 2.4.18-14 (the original), but does not show the new 2.4.28-27 kernel.

6. Tried to install again and got rpm error message that the package is already installed.

7. Ran rpm with the -U (upgrade) option and got the same error message.

8. Ran rpm with the -F (freshen) option without both error messages and change.

9. Ran rpm with the -e (erase) message and got the "package not installed" message again.

10. Ran command "grep -R 2.4.18 /* > grep-results.txt" and "2.4.18-14" was found is many files, but "2.4.18-27" was no where to be found.

I need help to find out why the kernel upgrade is not installed even though rpm says it is and correct the problem. Until I accomplish that, I am limited to running windows on my new box.

Anyone have any ideas?

Regards,

Bob

flw
    Linux Engineer
    Seems like you have done the basics correct but while I was looking found two Redhat kernal specific urls that may or may not help you out. Check them out and let us know if you were able to resolve the issue and what the resolution was.

See:

http://www.redhat.com/support/resour...ernel-upgrade/

And link page of additonal kernal upgrade/config/installs http://www.redhat.com/support/resour...de/kernel.html
    Dan

\"Keep your friends close and your enemies even closer\" from The Art of War by Sun Tzu\"

Just Joined!
    posted by fastlanwan
    Seems like you have done the basics correct but while I was looking found two Redhat kernal specific urls that may or may not help you out.
    Thanks, I'll plow through them, but I am not hopeful. I have two machines that have Linux installed on them. One, the newer and problem, is a dual boot with Windows XP and Linux 8.0. The other is a pure Linux machine for which I have twice successfully upgraded the kernel using rpm.

Linux on the problem machine runs, but the network (eth0), sound (sound-slot-0), and the usb does not work, so Linux on that machine is blind, deaf, and dumb to the outside world. The other machine that Linux runs on normally is old and slow, so I'd really like to solve the problem.

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    flw
    Linux Engineer
    As a test, have you then already tried the other older NIC in the newer PC or if you have a extra old card tried it?

On the sound and USB port I'm not surprised but look at them one at a time which it seems you are. But without the NIC not of much use
    Dan

\"Keep your friends close and your enemies even closer\" from The Art of War by Sun Tzu\"

I'm not famaliar with RPM, but does installing that RPM kernel update automatically compile/move and set all your defaults (grub.conf, etc.) to the new kernel?
    "Time is an illusion. Lunchtime, doubly so."
    ~Douglas Adams, The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy