Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hi, I am new to this forum, so was not sure where to put this. I am trying to build a complete linux system for a PC-104 board powered with ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Help needed in building a minimal linux for a PC-104 board

Hi, I am new to this forum, so was not sure where to put this. I am trying to build a complete linux system for a PC-104 board powered with AMD Geode-LX800 processor (500 MHz). It has 256 MB of RAM, compact flash module and couple of peripheral connectors.

I am interested in building a minimal linux system with a TCP/IP capability. I tried kernel compilation, image building, root file system building and boot loader (Lilo and Syslinux) setup on the flash card, but failed to get the system boot. (don't know how to set up the .config file of boot loader)

How should I follow to get this kind of system working? (Is there a set procedure?)

Any help will be appreciated.

Trusted Penguin
    Quote Originally Posted by rainbow82 View Post
    Hi, I am new to this forum, so was not sure where to put this. I am trying to build a complete linux system for a PC-104 board powered with AMD Geode-LX800 processor (500 MHz). It has 256 MB of RAM, compact flash module and couple of peripheral connectors.

I am interested in building a minimal linux system with a TCP/IP capability. I tried kernel compilation, image building, root file system building and boot loader (Lilo and Syslinux) setup on the flash card, but failed to get the system boot. (don't know how to set up the .config file of boot loader)

How should I follow to get this kind of system working? (Is there a set procedure?)

Any help will be appreciated.
    If you are determined to build Linux from scratch, try Linux From Scratch. It is a long process, though.

Perhaps you could try any of the "light-weight" distros out there, made for this type of thing (Puppy, DSL, etc.).

Also, check out this guy's efforts.

I can be found either 40 miles west of Chicago, or in a galaxy far, far away.
    Does the board maker have any Linux support? I have an ARM PC-104 board w/ I/O and relay daughter boards. The board manufacturer has good Linux support and documentation to make it all work fairly painlessly.
    Sometimes, real fast is almost as good as real time.
    Just remember, Semper Gumbi - always be flexible!