Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
I have tried Knoppix but have found looking at Xandros it is a very user friendly OS. What is it that you use? I have already purchased this program and ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

I have tried Knoppix but have found looking at Xandros it is a very user friendly OS. What is it that you use? I have already purchased this program and really do not want to have to purchase another. I am also confused as to why now I cannot get into the harddrive to format it and try another clean install. I am using Windows for my AutoCAD and I am trying to find a suitable cad program that will work with Xandros and get the same results. I just want this thing to work.

I can relate if you've just put down money for Xandros. It is a very good distro, no doubt. At the moment I'm using SuSE 9.2 Professional.

On the subject of your harddrives: are they Serial ATA or IDE? What are you trying to do when you "can't get into the harddrive to format"? If you just want to reinstall the OS, reformatting is redundant and unnecessary since the installer does this anyway.
    Registered Linux user #270181
    TechieMoe's Tech Rants

Just Joined!
    My hard drives are IDE drives. Sata is all new to me but I know they are not Sata drives. I tried using Partition Magic 8.0 to do it but when it gets to the drive it says there is a problem and bad sectors. It asks if I want to fix them and I say yes and as soon as it does it will not allow anything to be done on the drive. This has all come about since trying to put in Xandros 2.5. I did have Xandros 2.0 in my computer but when I got the 64 bit it would not allow me into the drive so that is why I went to 2.5. and of course now I am NADA.

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Quote Originally Posted by Stumar
    I tried using Partition Magic 8.0 to do it but when it gets to the drive it says there is a problem and bad sectors. It asks if I want to fix them and I say yes and as soon as it does it will not allow anything to be done on the drive. This has all come about since trying to put in Xandros 2.5. I did have Xandros 2.0 in my computer but when I got the 64 bit it would not allow me into the drive so that is why I went to 2.5. and of course now I am NADA.
    Ok. Well is there a reason you need partition magic? Can you not just reinstall Xandros over the previous installation?
    TechieMoe's Tech Rants

Just Joined!
    I have tried 3 times to install over the other version. I put the Install CD in and it goes as far as the starting desktop and then freezes. I am running two monitors but that doesn't seem to be a problem because I have tried reinstalling with only one plugged in and it still will not install. I have no idea why I am having this problem but it is surely becoming a real headache.

Sounds to me like an issue with your video card. Do you happen to have a spare non-ATI display card lying around? Have you asked around on the Xandros forums?
    TechieMoe's Tech Rants

Linux Enthusiast
    You don't need to purchase most distros. Two great distros all around are Mandrake and Fedora Core. Both are free, and Fedora Core I know has a native 64-bit version, and I'm sure Mandrake does as well, which will enable you to get more out of having a 64-bit processor.
    Emotions are the key to the soul.
    Registered Linux User #375050

Quote Originally Posted by Stormblazer
    Two great distros all around are Mandrake and Fedora Core.
    As usually happens when we start recommending distros, everyone has their own opinion. Mine differs in this case. Fedora Core was good for me up until Core 3, and then all hell broke loose. As for Mandrake, I haven't had a successful install of it since about version 8. But to each their own.

Back on topic, you say you don't think the issue is your video card, yet the point where it always goes black is right before the desktop loads. Can you boot into non-graphical mode? I'm sure someone has done this on the Xandros forums before. If you can get to a console you might be able to diagnose what's wrong from there.
    TechieMoe's Tech Rants

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2