Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
[b]I just upgraded my computer to an AMD 64 bit mother board. My Windows loaded automatically and made the correct changes to accept it. My Linux drive will not. I ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

AMD 64 bit Motherboard ( Why won't Linux work? )

[b]I just upgraded my computer to an AMD 64 bit mother board. My Windows loaded automatically and made the correct changes to accept it. My Linux drive will not. I am running Zandros and after I get to the boot and it goes through the hardware check and then starts to the login screen it locks up. Is there a way to get Linux to work on a 64 bit and if so what do I need to do to get it to work. I really like the Zandros and I want to get it running so that I can get rid of Windows completely. Helppppppppppppppppppp

Linux Enthusiast
    You probably have the 32-bit version of Zandros. Make sure you have the 64-bit version. Most distros supply a 64-bit version (ia_64) and a 32-bit (i386, i586, i686)
    I use Fedora Core 3, which I know there is a 64-bit version of, I have no idea whether Zandros has a 64-bit version.
    Emotions are the key to the soul.
    Registered Linux User #375050

Re: AMD 64 bit Motherboard ( Why won't Linux work? )

Quote Originally Posted by Stumar
    [b]I just upgraded my computer to an AMD 64 bit mother board. My Windows loaded automatically and made the correct changes to accept it. My Linux drive will not. I am running Zandros and after I get to the boot and it goes through the hardware check and then starts to the login screen it locks up. Is there a way to get Linux to work on a 64 bit and if so what do I need to do to get it to work. I really like the Zandros and I want to get it running so that I can get rid of Windows completely. Helppppppppppppppppppp
    The AMD64 chip will run 32-bit and 64-bit operating systems, so there's no need to download the 64-bit versions unless you just want to (I do). However, as of the latest version of Xandros (2.5) there is no 64-bit version. Your problem more than likely has nothing to do with the processor itself, but rather the chipset on the board, since I myself have run Xandros on an AMD64 system as well as several others I've talked to on the Xandros Forum.

What type of motherboard is it? (manufacturer, model, chipset) What type of CPU is it? (model number, speed) What is your hardware setup? (drive types, number of drives, video card, any other PCI cards)
    Registered Linux user #270181
    TechieMoe's Tech Rants

I think 64 bit configs have backwards compatibility, so actually, any 32 bit config will work. At least that's what i know. Nevertheless, not too many apps have been released to fully support the 64 bit tech for processors and chipsets. I know cause where i work, 64 bits haven't taken a jump start yet. Maybe in a couple of years they will be the reigning trend, who knows

Quote Originally Posted by sheds
    I think 64 bit configs have backwards compatibility, so actually, any 32 bit config will work.
    Yes, that's what I just said. The only 64-bit chips for the consumer these days that *don't* support 32-bit code as well are the Intel Itanium AFAIK. The new Intel 64-bit chips feature EM64T which is just a fancy name for "we copied AMD's 32-bit capability because they owned us in the server market".
    TechieMoe's Tech Rants

Quote Originally Posted by techieMoe
    The new Intel 64-bit chips feature EM64T which is just a fancy name for "we copied AMD's 32-bit capability because they owned us in the server market".
    Actually I thought it was a fancy name for "we're going to emulate 32-bit so it runs much more slowly than AMD64's native 32-bit. This way we can convince you to buy more of our buttbuddy, M$'s, software."

But back OT. It is most definately, as techiemoe stated, the fact that you don't have the proper chipset support in your kernel. You'll most likely have to boot a LiveCD, chroot to your normal / partition and recompile a kernel.
    "Time is an illusion. Lunchtime, doubly so."
    ~Douglas Adams, The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy

Just Joined!

Xandros 2.5

I can still not get my Xandros to work. I have tried reloading it 3 times and as soon as I get to the point where it says going to desktop it locks up. Is there anyone that can help me with this problem.. It seems that Xandros Tech can't and I am getting very frustrated with the support or lack there of. Please somebody help me getting this working. I am running a Radeon 9000 128 mg video card with 1 gig memory and 3 Maxtor harddrives. My board is an AMD 64 bit with a 3200+ CPU. triple fans. HELP

I also have an AMD64 3200+. What are the exact specifications for your motherboard? What brand is it? What onboard chipset does it use? Are your harddrives IDE or SATA? Have you tried installing any other Linux distributions on it?
    TechieMoe's Tech Rants

Just Joined!

Chipset

I am running a VIA chipset. it is a K8V-X KT800 Motherboard. Does this help you with anything?

Re: Chipset

Quote Originally Posted by Stumar
    I am running a VIA chipset. it is a K8V-X KT800 Motherboard. Does this help you with anything?
    That is exactly the motherboard I use. Perhaps it's an issue with Xandros rather than your hardware? I haven't tried installing Xandros on my current hardware.

Then again, it might be the Xandros ATI drivers, considering you say it freezes at the point where it's about to go to the desktop. Have you tried any other Linux distributions?
    TechieMoe's Tech Rants

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast