Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hey- So I have an IBM Thinkpad that's really old with Windows XP on it. However, it runs really slowly, not to mention it looks ugly too. Because I've been ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

No Distros working for my Computer

Hey-

So I have an IBM Thinkpad that's really old with Windows XP on it. However, it runs really slowly, not to mention it looks ugly too. Because I've been wanting to try Linux for a while now, I decided to go for it with this computer. After many tries I could not get it to properly boot or install. Now, I believe, I'm left with no OS.

I started off by trying to boot it from a usb but it didn't work so I switched to CD. I've tried Lubuntu, Unity, and Bodhi. Considering the fact that my computer has only 128MB memory, I've gone for the smaller Distros. All not booting properly or installing. By not booting properly I mean that it freezes during the process. For Bodhi, I successfully booted it from a CD but after a few minutes it froze. And sometimes it freezes while at the theme choosing theme.

For Lubuntu, it seems to have been installed. I go the the last screen(I believe) that says something like the installation is done, restart but make sure you take the CD out so it doesn't boot from the CD again and start the installation process over. At which point I take the CD out and then turn off the computer and turn it back on.

I don't know what I'm doing wrong, and I don't want to spend any more time trying to install Linux-- I want to start to learn more about it by using it. Any suggestions and advice would be helpful. Thank in advance.

Just Joined!
    Get a netinstall CD of Debian from debian.org its size is about 100 MB and to install you need an internet connection and a cable to wire your computer to your router.

Hello and Welcome!

With low specs, you might want to look to something like antiX, Puppy or Slitaz.
    You'll probably have better results that way.
    Last edited by jayd512; 08-08-2011 at 01:51 AM.
    Jay

New users, read this first.
    New Member FAQ
    Registered Linux User #463940
    I do not respond to private messages asking for Linux help. Please keep it on the public boards.

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Jay is right, with just 128 mb ram, it is going to b difficult for even Lubuntu. AntiX, SliTaz, Tinycore, or one of the other minimal linux may run better. Start by going to distrowatch.com and doing a search for older computers. This will return a list of distro's which typically do well on computers with less than 1 GB ram. Unfortunately, some distro's can be hard to find out just how little ram they will work with, often citing no figures, or figures that were accurate 4 or 5 releases ago. Easiest thing to do is download several likely candidates and try them as a live cd.
    Registered Linux user #526930

Just Joined!
    Thanks a lot. I want something easy to get used to and customize because I'm new to this whole thing. I eventually want to install Fedora onto a different computer once I use Linux a little. And does anyone know where to get more ram and memory for my IBM... for cheap?

Anyways thanks a ton for the help

I usually use Tigerdirect.com or Newegg.com for parts. You can find stuff a little cheaper at some other sites, but you spend a lot of time chasing down that "good deal", and tiger or newegg are usually pretty close in price.
    Registered Linux user #526930

Just Joined!
    Thanks a lot. I'm going with antiX and see how it goes.

I can be found either 40 miles west of Chicago, in Chicago, or in a galaxy far, far away.
    I've installed Gentoo on very small systems, but Debian is a good choice. I've installed Edge on ARM embedded systems with 32-64MB of RAM.
    Sometimes, real fast is almost as good as real time.
    Just remember, Semper Gumbi - always be flexible!