Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
You should be able to click on the graphical representation of your partition. Then the options in the top left will no longer be greyed out....
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

You should be able to click on the graphical representation of your partition.
    Then the options in the top left will no longer be greyed out.
    Jay

New users, read this first.
    New Member FAQ
    Registered Linux User #463940
    I do not respond to private messages asking for Linux help. Please keep it on the public boards.

Just Joined!
    yeah, thats what i did, i clicked it, and right clicked it, and the options were still grayed out. it would only give me options for the 500mb partition.. do you think fedora could have given itself that small of a partition?

if it makes any difference the 500mb partition is blue and the 149gb partition is orange

EDIT: i did it again with the same reults, also there's, a small triangle with an exclamination mark next to the 149gb partition

EDIT: when clicking the error, it says something like "dynamic file storage not yet supported" or something simmilar

EDIT: that kinda scares me since it said dynamic, am i not going to be able to partition it because of that?

EDIT: sorry, not dynamic, this is what it said "GParted does not support Logical Volume Manager actions"
    Last edited by zombygeek; 08-07-2011 at 03:19 AM.

I'm thinking I might be reading your description wrong...
    Could you take a screenshot while in Gparted and post it?
    Jay

New Member FAQ
    I do not respond to private messages asking for Linux help. Please keep it on the public boards.

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    I've never partitioned any of my Fedora installs using LVM, so I'm reluctant to tell you it will be okay...
    Can you boot to your Fedora install disc and resize it there?
    Jay

New Member FAQ

Just Joined!
    i don't think fedora has it but here's a pic i took with my phone, i couldn't get the screenshot

img36.imageshack.us/img36/6922/0806112147a.jpg

Judging from what I see in the pic... you should be able to resize.
    Drag the very right-hand edge of the red box to the left.
    Does it let you do that?
    Jay

New Member FAQ

Just Joined!
    i couldn't get the screenshot thing in gparted to so i used my phone. i had a few more pictures, but i was in a hurry, and had to get somewhere, all they showed is what i told you before though. about the buttons being grayed out.

i'll try the dragging thing now and i'll tell you how that goes..

EDIT: nope, doesn't let me do anything, the only thing it will allow me to do is shrink the 500mb partition, probably only shrink because the 148.52 gb partition is taking up the rest of the space and format the larger partition

i google searched it and found a thread from 2009 saying fedora uses LVM file system, and that gparted was working on support for it but that it wasn't ready yet, from my screen shot i see that it says "file system: lvm2".. i'm thinking that's the problem, so, maybe i need to find different software that supports LVM, whatever that is..

EDIT: what i THINK, LVM is that it creates a virtual partitions inside the larger partition, and apparently that makes it easier to do a few specific things that i didn't really understand.. i found a guide shows how to shrink an LVM partition, but i'm not sure if i can unmount my filesystem while using it, like he does, or what OS he's using, so i'm not sure if it will work the same with fedora 15.. here's the link:

tcpdump.com/kb/os/linux/lvm-resizing-guide/shrink.html

EDIT: i guess you already know what LVM is... but it didn't even give me an option when installing.. and all fedora came with is "Disk Utility", which just lets me few regular partitions and LVM partitions, but not actually partition them here's some screens:

img23.imageshack.us/img23/6176/screenshot160gbharddisk.png
    img717.imageshack.us/img717/4453/screenshotvgdustinpc159.png

since my fedora LVM partition is on the right side, i'm thinking i'm going to have to move it to the left before resizing? or is that just with regular partitions?

EDIT:

guessing it'd just be easier to just go into gparted, format my drive completely and then partition it into 3 seperate parts and install them all right?
    Last edited by zombygeek; 08-07-2011 at 10:58 PM.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2