Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
okay, i'm 17 years old and i'm not NEW to linux, i'm just not that great, i've been using and messing with it since about a year after my family ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

triple booting while keeping my current installation alone

okay, i'm 17 years old and i'm not NEW to linux, i'm just not that great, i've been using and messing with it since about a year after my family first got a computer so like 13. my internet at home is complete crap, so i can't update my computer regularly. < keep that in mind

originally i wanted to dual boot fedora 15 and windows 7, i already had windows installed, and so when i put the fedora disc in i clicked "shrink your current os's partition for fedora" or something like that... well, when i did this i wasn't at home, so i had a few things i haven't backed up but nothing super important, and i've messed with dual booting linux on windows before and had no problems.. well, after it got done when trying to load into windows (not even an option for fedora) i got the bsod. it actually cut my windows installation in half.. i saw the "starting windows" animation but then that got cut off by the bsod.. so since i had my fedora disc i just erased windows and forgot about what i had on my pc. so i fully updated fedora (still not at my house), and got it all set up.

but now i'm having problems with it, the Fluendo mp3 decoder is imho complete crap, i'm using banshee and i have a 5.1 surround sound and it's just hard to listen to, it's scratchy and... just bad

i also have a waccom bamboo tablet, mypaint doesn't work for some reason fedora 15, gimp is great, but i prefer something like PaintToolSAI, which would be mypaint.. and neither does the linux waccom drivers that worked on ubuntu..

so with this many issues i figured it's be easiest to just do a dual boot, that way with windows i get iTunes for my music (i know some people aren't a fan of it but i like it), PaintToolSAI for my art, and then i'd get to keep my fedora how it is, and then i like ubuntu for other reasons

okay, so i know a lot of people say that the best and easiest way to dual boot your computer is by installing windows first. well, i really don't want to do that, because i'm not at a place where i can install any updates, and won't be for a long time, and i JUST got my fedora the way i like it (minus the issues) but i can do my online stuff, and i really don't want to screw that up...

so i need a help triple booting windows 7, ubuntu 11.04, and fedora 15, and preferably that order with my partitions on my hard drive.. i'm not sure if you can move installations around a hard drive but i'm pretty sure you can..

i would be so incredibly happy if someone would help me figure this out

p.s. sorry for the life story, but i figured i should probably explain my situation first

Hello and Welcome!

You could use a Parted Magic LiveCD to shrink your Fedora partition to the size that you need.
    Then, install windows to the unallocated space.
    After that, you'll need to reinstall your GRUB bootloader from your Fedora disc. Here is a page that has a few options for you: How to restore Grub 2 after reinstalling Windows XP/Vista/Win7
    Jay

New users, read this first.
    New Member FAQ
    Registered Linux User #463940
    I do not respond to private messages asking for Linux help. Please keep it on the public boards.

After looking at the last part of your post... I have a better idea.

You already have Fedora. Install windows next, then Ubuntu last.
    You can change the boot order in GRUB later.
    Jay

New Member FAQ
    I do not respond to private messages asking for Linux help. Please keep it on the public boards.

Just Joined!
    okay, so after i do that then would i install ubuntu next, using the partitioner that comes with it, when installing?.. because i tried to dual boot ubuntu and fedora to, but i stopped when ubuntu didn't recognize my fedora installation

edit: so i looked at that Parted Magic LiveCD, and i would download and try it if it wasn't 171 mb, i can't download things like that without sending my internet bandwidth over the limit, then i wouldn't have internet for like a month D:.. i live in the middle of no where and have satellite internet..

i think i have a gparted disc somewhere already, would that work??

That would work perfectly fine.
    I use GParted for a good part of my partitioning.
    I only advise Parted Magic to folks because it's easy to get online with it if you run into trouble
    Jay

New Member FAQ

Just Joined!
    ah, okay, it's an older version from a year or two ago, but i'm sure it'll work just the same.. and im not sure if i ever actually used it..

so what i'm going to do is shrink fedora from this:

|--------------------------------fedora--------------------------------|

to

|------fedora---------||___________________________|

then install windows

|------fedora---------||--------------------windows---------------|

then install ubuntu, by shrinking windows

|-------fedora--------||-----windows-------||----ubuntu--------|

I think you've got the right idea, but you can simplify it a little.
    Once booted up to GParted, go ahead and make your patitions, in the correct filesystem types.

Shrink Fedora, hit <apply>
    Make usable space for Windows (NTFS), <apply>.
    Make filesystem for Ubuntu, <apply>

Then when you install Windows, it should ask you where you want to install it.
    Installing Ubuntu last will then give you a usable bootloader so you can pick and choose on startup.
    Last edited by jayd512; 08-06-2011 at 08:55 PM. Reason: spelling
    Jay

New Member FAQ

Just Joined!
    ah, okay, that sounds easier.. and a questions just out curiosity, can i change the color of the ubuntu bootloader? i thought it was kinda ugly, and would rather have it black than that purpleish color

I'm not really sure, but I'm thinking that there is a way to do so.
    I've just not had the need to look into it, personally.

I'd suggest getting this problem nailed down first.
    Then just post a new thread asking about the colors, ya know?
    Jay

New Member FAQ

Just Joined!
    i was just wondering, it's no big deal

and so i just clicked auto-configuration on gparted and got an error..

img135.imageshack.us/img135/6552/0806111616.jpg

EDIT: i did it twice and got the same thing.. idk what the other options do, and idk what any of the commands do when i type "help"

EDIT: downloaded new version, booted up fine, but when i click on my drive it gives me no option to resize or move or anything, but it does give me those options for the 500mb partition, but i'm pretty sure thats just an extra thing fedora made..
    Last edited by zombygeek; 08-06-2011 at 11:57 PM.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast