Find the answer to your Linux question:
The laptop is a Compaq presario f700. I'm trying to install a linux distro on it but I keep having this weird display issue. So far I've tried the Ubuntu ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Linux doesn't display right on laptop

The laptop is a Compaq presario f700. I'm trying to install a linux distro on it but I keep having this weird display issue. So far I've tried the Ubuntu 10.10, Fedora, and openSUSE, so far all three have had a similar issue as you can see in the image below. As youcan also see below everything works fine with Windows and I have just installed Windows 7 without an issue.

Now the weird thing is that Backtrack 4 r4 live cd loads up fine and works...

IMG_20110818_003536 (1).jpgIMG_20110818_003941.jpg

When I used Knoppix I had to use a cheatcode "Knoppix xmodule=nv". Once I went full debian (separate build) I had to install the NVidia drivers.

It looks like a video driver problem. Any idea which video card you are using? How about the driver, do you know which one was being used?
    I do not respond to private messages asking for Linux help, Please keep it on the forums only.
    All new users please read this.** Forum FAQS. ** Adopt an unanswered post.

I'd rather be lost at the lake than found at home.

Just Joined!
    Looks like it's a NVIDIA GeForce 7000M.

i would suggest that you boot up backtrack Linux and go look at the /etc/X11/xorg/xorg.conf if it even exists. Post a copy of it if it does exist. We might find out which driver/module backtrack is using and try to duplicate that.
    I do not respond to private messages asking for Linux help, Please keep it on the forums only.
    All new users please read this.** Forum FAQS. ** Adopt an unanswered post.

I'd rather be lost at the lake than found at home.

Just Joined!
    Ok, the first think I notice in Xorg.conf is the following:

"This is a new improved version of XF86Config-fbdev that uses vesa driver instead of the fbdev driver. Thanks to Kenneth Fanyo who pointed this out to me. THis XF86Config file is designed for use with the VESA framebuffer. This generic interface should work with nearly all video cards (although not every card will support every resoution). With the new driver, it should n longer be required to have frame buffer support in the kernal, or to run it on the console."

Section "Device"
    Identifier "vesa framebuffer"
    Driver "vesa"
    #videoram 4096
    End section

Just Joined!
    Just tried Debian, problem as other distros.

Try legacyOS, AntiX, or ImagineOS, those 3 have worked for me when I had an odd graphics chip that others couldn't properly recognize. Also, in Ubuntu, look under system > administration > additional drivers, and see if there is an additional driver you might need, or see if the "restricted extras" driver works. You should also check with nvidia and Compaq to see if they have linux drivers for your hardware.
    Registered Linux user #526930

Get yourself a Mandriva One CD. It is a live CD that inlcudes nvidia drivers, if it boots right, then you can install it to your hard drive

Good luck