Find the answer to your Linux question:
I like to keep a copy of XP pro on my computers for unfriendly servers to Linux desktops and my favorite Linux distro. I would like to be able to ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

Grub will not successfully boot more then Two O.Ss causes

I like to keep a copy of XP pro on my computers for unfriendly servers to Linux desktops and my favorite Linux distro. I would like to be able to boot four or more but when I have XP on and One Linux on the Last Linux installed will not allow the first one to boot even if it is in the menu.lst file.

Any suggestions! I'm interested in any possible cause even if it is remote.

Thanks in advance!

Linux Guru
    It's obviously possible and usually not that problematic. I don't know that much about Grub but have had as many as 12-14 Linux distros on one computer with some version of windows. If you go to the JustLinux forum, there is a post by member saikee explaining how he got 140+ operating systems on one computer.

Any entry in menu.lst must obviously be the correct entry pointing to the correct partition and/or kernel.
    Fedora is notoriously bad at detecting any Linux system, in fact I don't know that it does.
    Mixing Grub Legacy and Grub2 can also pose problems.

Without specifics about your situation, it's nothing but guesswork.

It's nothing but quesswork with the specifics! What specific specifics should I post?

Actually I'm using Fedora and CentOS. Thanks for your Expertise!
    Last edited by theKbStockpiler; 08-20-2011 at 01:13 AM.

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Linux Guru
    What specific specifics should I post?
    Fedora doesn't usually detect other Linux operating systems and will require manual configuration. CentOS is probably similar but I've never used it so I don't know.

A good starting point would be which operating systems you have installed, the order in which they were installed, where the bootloader was installed (mbr, root partition, separate boot partition) for each, partition information for all drives such as which operating system you believe to be on which partition(s), and a copy of the boot menu file (menu.lst, grub.conf or grub.cfg) for the system which you are booting.

Thanks for the Reply!

Remove double post:Sorry!