Find the answer to your Linux question:
I currently have Windows XP and Slackware 10.0 installed on my hard disk and dual booting them through LILO. Was thinking of switching to FC 3 but during installation, it ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Fedora Core 3 cant read my partition table during installati

I currently have Windows XP and Slackware 10.0 installed on my hard disk and dual booting them through LILO.

Was thinking of switching to FC 3 but during installation, it says that it cant read my partition table because it cant access the hard disk and wants me to erase all data. Anyone knows how to get around this?

Linux Newbie
    What type of hard disk? SATA or PATA?

Just Joined!
    doesn't matter...see this post.
    http://www.linuxforums.org/forum/topic-30658.html

PS: I did a bugzilla search for this and it seems that it is a long standing known problem right from the days of RH6. But none of the posts on bugzilla gave me a solution. If someone finds one please post it.

Thnx.

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Linux Newbie
    Quote Originally Posted by devil
    doesn't matter...see this post.
    http://www.linuxforums.org/forum/topic-30658.html

PS: I did a bugzilla search for this and it seems that it is a long standing known problem right from the days of RH6. But none of the posts on bugzilla gave me a solution. If someone finds one please post it.

Thnx.
    What did this post help solve. Does not matter? Look, if you have a SATA hard disk then you need the right drivers. They are on the promise website. If it is PATA then it is a volume problem. The link you gave helped nothing at all. We are here to help. In order to help I need as much info as I can have. Moreover, you said from RH6? I was using RH before ver. 6 was even thought of. I have used 6, 9, FC#, and have had no problems. My first raid was set on RH5! People have problems. That is a known fact. Im going to shut up for you don't either know what you are talking about or just not too smart.
    Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a hard battle.

Plato

Just Joined!
    sorry..i did not mean 2 offend u.
    What i meant was that it looks like a volume problem which can occur inboth sata and pata drives.
    The post (and probobly many others if one searches 4 them) just was mentioned to show that many people having both kinds of drives have the same problem.
    I was hoping u would think on those lines instead and maybe help all the people out there having the same problem

Linux Guru

Plato and others
    /IMHO
    //got nothin'
    ///this use to look better

Linux Newbie
    Quote Originally Posted by drakebasher

Plato and others
    True

sorry..i did not mean 2 offend u.
    What i meant was that it looks like a volume problem which can occur inboth sata and pata drives.
    The post (and probobly many others if one searches 4 them) just was mentioned to show that many people having both kinds of drives have the same problem.
    I was hoping u would think on those lines instead and maybe help all the people out there having the same problem
    Sorry, you did not offend me. I can be a little harsh at times. I must have been really mad at some thing and just blew up. I just hate problems some times and take no soultions out the wrong way. I am sorry. On SATA drives just google it. You should pull up a list of solutions. Also their is one on linux.org. Just go to the Doc.s and it is in their. If I can be of any more help I will. Thanks drakebasher for pointing that out. Good Day!

Plato

Just Joined!
    I found a way around SATA installation problems. But first I would check your hard drive for errors. On some Linux OSs you can enter the command from terminal/console "mount" and insure that the Winblows partition is NOT mounted. Then :"dosfsck /dev/sda1" (for example).
    If there is a big error on the hard drive then you should STOP !
    This is one reason why Fedora FC3 is balking on install. The other is
    it didnt find a vacant FORMATTED partition. The command "dosfsck /dev/hda1 or whatever partition Winblows is on is a lot more specific that Norton or embeded Winblows diskscan utility.
    You will find it on the "systemrescuecd" page of the Partition Image web site. It is a download of around 100-110 mbs. There is more free goodies such as "qtparted" (disk partitioner and formatter) as well as "partimage" the backup program I now use for both Winblows and Linux.
    e.c.

Just Joined!
    It's a PATA Hard disk drive. Could it be a problem with the parition tables?