Find the answer to your Linux question:
I am going to reformat a CentOS server into Ubuntu server.. When I checked the devices available using df -kh command, a 'tmps' with 251MB size, mounted on /dev/shm appeared ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Exclamation tmps mounted on /dev/shm--- PLS HELP!!

I am going to reformat a CentOS server into Ubuntu server.. When I checked the devices available using df -kh command, a 'tmps' with 251MB size, mounted on /dev/shm appeared together with the /dev/sda and /dev/sdb... I know that /dev/sda and /dev/sdb are the hard disks connected, how about this 'temfs', is it also a hard disk?? I don't really get it..please explain. Thanks!

tmpfs is actually a small chunk of your memory that's been allocated for storage. It's generally something that gets done automatically. Personally I wouldn't want to go removing it as some apps are likely to use /dev/shm for some temporary storage, and this being on memory (due to being on TMPFS) will make access to it a lot quicker
    "I am not an alcoholic, alcoholics go to meetings"
    Registered Linux user = #372327

Just Joined!
    does it mean that it has nothing to do with the hard disk? i mean, i can reformat it without worries on that tmpfs? thanks!

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    yes, tmpfs, is just a "fake" drive that's just a small chink of your memory, you can ignore this when reformatting. the new OS will just use it when you reinstall.
    "I am not an alcoholic, alcoholics go to meetings"
    Registered Linux user = #372327