Find the answer to your Linux question:
Like quite a lot of people, i'm having a dual booting problem. I'm trying to install crunchbang linux so I have a dual boot with windows xp. However, I reach ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

So where is Windows?

Like quite a lot of people, i'm having a dual booting problem.

I'm trying to install crunchbang linux so I have a dual boot with windows xp.

However, I reach a problem when I hit the partition stage. I have two 80GB hard drives (called Sda and Sdb by crunchbang) and I want Windows xp on one of them and crunchbang on the other.

I already have windows xp installed. My question is this:

1). Is Windows xp installed on Sda or is it installed on both Sda and Sdb?

If the answer to the above is Sda, then selecting sdab for crunchbang during the installation process should give me the result i'm looking for.

Right?

Linux Guru
    1). Is Windows xp installed on Sda or is it installed on both Sda and Sdb?
    Have you had xp for a time or did you just install it? I am not familiar with Crunchbang but you should be able to find the terminal to enter a command to get drive/partition information. Open a terminal and enter su -, you may be prompted for a password, usually just don't enter anything and hit the enter key then in the terminal type:

fdisk -l(Lower case Letter L in command)
    Some distributions use sudo in place of su -. Don't know about Crunchbang. If the above doesn't work use:

sudo fdisk -l
    You should post the output here which gives your drive/partition information. Anything under the System column in this output showing NTFS is windows.

If the answer to the above is Sda, then selecting sdab for crunchbang
    No, or is that just a typo? If xp is on sda then Crunchbang would go on sdb.