Find the answer to your Linux question:
I created an NTFS part to install Lucid. When I go through the install wizard, it will only allow me to select the windows drive to divide. I'd like to ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

Partition idiocy

I created an NTFS part to install Lucid. When I go through the install wizard, it will only allow me to select the windows drive to divide. I'd like to install to the part, and create swap, root, and home parts. Is my windows going to get boned if I start fooling around here? I'm obviously quite new.

Hello and Welcome!

Check out this walk-through: How to install Windows 7 and Ubuntu side by side
    It's very detailed, with screenshots to help get you through.
    You'll be able to tell the Ubuntu installer where you want to install, without hosing your Windows installation.
    Just take your time and if you come across anything that has you concerned, post back.
    Jay

New users, read this first.
    New Member FAQ
    Registered Linux User #463940
    I do not respond to private messages asking for Linux help. Please keep it on the public boards.

I can be found either 40 miles west of Chicago, in Chicago, or in a galaxy far, far away.
    You cannot use NTFS to install your root/boot/swap partitions. In fact, don't use NTFS for Linux, other than as a file system that has to be accessible from both Windows and Linux. However, it won't work well (or at all) for Linux system drives.
    Sometimes, real fast is almost as good as real time.
    Just remember, Semper Gumbi - always be flexible!

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close