Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hi could some one help me . I have a packard bell imedia 5057 had to formatt hard drive due to problem so no longer able to install xp . ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Lightbulb ubuntu latest version 8 install crash

Hi could some one help me .
    I have a packard bell imedia 5057 had to formatt hard drive due to problem so no longer able to install xp .
    So a friend suggested loading the latest ubuntu ,so I have tried
    followed instructions for partitioning carefully all went well at first
    then about half way through It crashed .
    I am a bit of a green horn when It comes to computers
    but I am willing to learn
    yours sincerly
    nervusnev

If it only has 512mb of ram. Newest full Ubuntu with Unity Desktop is too heavy. for that older packard bell imedia 5057.

You might want to go with Xubuntu 11.04 released | Xubuntu or lubuntu | light Ubuntu for faster computing or Bodhilinux.com a try instead running as a live session. Make sure you make a /swap partition before running the gui installer also. You might have crashed the install because you ran out of ram memory during install.

Also. Give more details on when it crashed (how far along into install). -roblem might be graphics related also. Vesa driver during boot up (safe graphics mode) is usually recommended on older gear also.
    Linux Registered User # 475019
    Lead,Follow, or get the heck out of the way. I Have a Masters in Raising Hell
    Tech Books
    Free Linux Books
    Newbie Guide
    Courses at Home

The latest ubuntu requires a minimum of 1 GB of ram and a 1 Ghz cpu, and runs a little slow at those minimum specs. Unless your system has been upgraded from the original specs, you will probably need to go with a different distro. If you like ubuntu, try Lubuntu, it uses the LXDE desktop instead of gnome, and runs on less ram. Go to distrowatch.com and do a search on older computers, and they will recommend several distro's that run on older hardware. Some other favorites of mine for old hardware are AntiX, LegacyOS, and ImagineOS. If you wind up needing a really compact distro, Tinycore, Slitaz, and Tinyme are good choices.
    Registered Linux user #526930

Just Joined!
    Thank you for your reply I will try your sugestions as soon as I can
    yours Sincerly
    Nervus nev