Find the answer to your Linux question:
HI, I have a multiboot machine, I added Suse11.4 and it hosed the mbr, I fixed that and replaced my dedicated boot partition but when I run grub-mkconfig it doesnt ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

grub-mkconfig not finding one linux install

HI, I have a multiboot machine, I added Suse11.4 and it hosed the mbr, I fixed that and replaced my dedicated boot partition but when I run grub-mkconfig it doesnt include one of my distros (mint11) strangely it finds all the others including another Mint11. The only thing distinguishable about that install is it was previously the main install that I use to run mkconfig from. It seems as though something got messed that lets mkconfig know it is a install. If anyone knows what that could be I would be very grateful as I add and change install on other partitions often.

thanks

Linux Guru
    Did you install the Grub bootloader for Opensuse to the master boot record?
    Which OS are you running grub-mkconfig from?

Just Joined!
    Originally yes from OpenSuse it didnt really give me a choice at least not that I could see, when I ran mkconfig I ran it from the OS that is not showing up.

Oh and thanks for the reply and help is appreciated.

--jerry

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Just Joined!
    If grub2 is the bootloader being used. Try opening a terminal in whichever distro's grub2 is running the show and running the cmd sudo update-grub

Hopefully that picks up on and adds all the OS's you have installed on the box.

Linux Guru
    Originally yes from OpenSuse it didnt really give me a choice at least not that I could see
    Unless 11.4 has changed its installer dramatically, there is an option to install Grub to a partition. You just need to dig a little deeper. On 11.3, there is a Live Installation Settings page which includes a section for Booting. If you mouse click Booting you will get a new window "Bootloader Settings". There are two tabs in the window and one is Bootloader Installation and this is where you make the change.

I'm not really clear on your current situation. What can you boot? What can you not boot?

Just Joined!
    I can boot everything but my problem was that when I ran mkconfig that it wasn't finding one distribution but found everything else. Oh and thanks for the Suse info, I will look closer when I do the reinstall.

thanks

and to Iwuvnix, grub-mkconfig does the same thing as grub-update.

thanks