Find the answer to your Linux question:
I copied the grub files from /usr/share/grub/i386-redhat in my case to a partition with the directories /boot/grub. Try as I may with grub-install and setup it will not install in ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

Grub on a dedicated partition.

I copied the grub files from /usr/share/grub/i386-redhat in my case to a partition with the directories /boot/grub. Try as I may with grub-install and setup it will not install in my MBR. When I want grub to overwrite my windows MBR it won't.Any pointers or tips would be appreciated!

Thanks in advance!

Post the output of ls /boot and ls /boot/grub commands. Which commands are you using to install GRUB?
    It is amazing what you can accomplish if you do not care who gets the credit.
    New Users: Read This First

Just curious - which version of Windows? They may have a new monopoly feature. I cannot resize my XP Partition because it is flagged with a fictitious error.

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Quote Originally Posted by BoDiddley
    I cannot resize my XP Partition because it is flagged with a fictitious error.
    That's strange. I have never encountered any such problem any of my dual booting machine. Which Partition Manager are you using and what error message does it throw?
    It is amazing what you can accomplish if you do not care who gets the credit.
    New Users: Read This First

XP Home edition - NTFS ; GParted; Parted Magic boot CD.

No error is thrown. The partition is flagged with an error ! (inside an orange triangle). Not a problem,I just peeled-off what I wanted for Windows, and reloaded. The rest I play with between 2 other OS'es and swap..

I also have no problems reading or writing data to or from the partition, just cannot resize it.

Red face Here are the ls /boot and ls/boot/grub command outputs.

[kbs@localhost Documents]$ ls /boot
    boot
    config-2.6.38.6-26.rc1.fc15.i686.PAE
    efi
    grub
    initramfs-2.6.38.6-26.rc1.fc15.i686.PAE.img
    System.map-2.6.38.6-26.rc1.fc15.i686.PAE
    vmlinuz-2.6.38.6-26.rc1.fc15.i686.PAE
    [kbs@localhost Documents]$ ls /boot/grub
    device.map grub.conf minix_stage1_5 stage2
    e2fs_stage1_5 iso9660_stage1_5 reiserfs_stage1_5 ufs2_stage1_5
    fat_stage1_5 jfs_stage1_5 splash.xpm.gz vstafs_stage1_5
    ffs_stage1_5 menu.lst stage1 xfs_stage1_5
    [kbs@localhost Documents]$
    I must confess that I don't understand how to use grub-install--root-directory=/......... I can't do this from just a grub shell correct? Would I mount ,then chroot in a rescue envirionment to a working distro and then mount the grub partition so my rescue disk would have the grub partition mounted along with a Linux distro? Actually I would mount the partition to the Linux distro? So I would mount ,then chroot to a Linux distro ,mount the linux distro to the grub partiton and then run the install--root-directory.......... command?

Xp Pro is the windows O.S and it allowed me to install it away from the MBR and install its bootloader in the MBR with no problem from the install disk. I have less problems with XP if I install the service packs after I get everything else installesd first so I install sp3 almost last unless it is a requirement for something else.

Ubuntu 7.10's installer is awsome. It will shrink a partition with an O.S on it with ease while others state the space is not large enough. 7.10 live has turned out to be as good as having Knoppix around.

Just Joined!
    Grub legacy.

ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=224351]How to install Grub from a live Ubuntu cd. - Ubuntu Forums

Grub2. Section 12 there.

help.ubuntu.com/community/Grub2

You'll have to add the missing parts of the urls. Or just do a search with em whatever, am sure you'll figure it out. Google is your friend and that's everything someone could need to know about reinstalling grub legacy and more than they'd wanna know about grub2. Won't let me post links w/o 15+ posts etc.

Linux Guru
    Coppying Grub files to a directory isn't going to enable anything to boot, it is not installing Grub.

You don't indicate how you tried to install, what exact commands you used or even which Grub you are using.

Is this a machine with one hard drive you are trying to install to?

The grub install command is usually used to install from a running system to an external hard drive or flash drive. If you have a flash which shows as sdb and you want Grub on the mbr, you would need to mount it in your primary system and then run the command.

The example below will install Grub to the mbr of /dev/sdb which is mounted on the primary system at /media/test. You would run the command as root from a terminal if you don't use sudo.

sudo grub-install --root-directory=/media/test /dev/sdb
    You then need to create a grub.cfg file with correct entries.
    That will be the case if you are using your Ubuntu with Grub2.

Smile I discovered the mistake I was making.

I believe I did this in the grub shell with out chrooting or anything else while using an install/recovery disk.

1- root (hd0,3) or where grub partition is

2- setup (hd0) with no comma as in (hd0,0) or the extra zero for the lack of the partition designation. Stupid why it won't work as (hd0,0) when you have to use it this way in other commands.

I removed the files that I used first from /user/share/grub and instead used the files for /boot/grub and the boot menu will not display without a grub.conf file so I added that. Now I have to make the grub.conf file a softlink I guess to menu.lst.

Thanks yancek for the great explanation. It took me a while to figure out what you explained. I think that the root-directory part is not well understood.
    Last edited by theKbStockpiler; 09-15-2011 at 12:23 AM.

Linux Guru
    I don't currently have Fedora installed but my recollection is that the menu.lst file is a link to grub.conf.