Find the answer to your Linux question:
genkernel was only partially successful, but I thought initrd was optional - little did I know ... sda1 ext2fs /boot sda4 reiserfs / I've found my image on (hd0,0) but ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Grub command line instal without initrd - help please

genkernel was only partially successful, but I thought initrd was optional - little did I know ...

sda1 ext2fs /boot
    sda4 reiserfs /

I've found my image on (hd0,0) but kernel always gives Error 15 file missing. Have I got to reinstal YET AGAIN to get an initrd or is there a workaround?

machine is HP Pavilion/AMDxp, No Windoze - Hurrah!
    image is kernel-genkernel-x86-2.6.39-gentoo-r3 and it was all installed and working, links internet and all, before I fouled up on GRUB ...

It has taken this long - a week of sunrise gotobed - because my hard disk has bad sectors which I can dodge with some nifty partitioning. That and the wifi lan. This is the third different version of the tenth different distro that I have actually got this far with - Hurrah!!

Looking forward to your advice, thanks.
    PS Nerderello's tutorial has already been useful.

Just Joined!
    Cracked it!

original code ...

root (hd0,3)
    kernel /boot/kernel-genkernel-x86-2.6.39-gentoo-r3 root=/dev/ram0 real_root=/dev/sda4 doscsi docache
    boot

corrected code

root (hd0,0)
    kernel /kernel-genkernel-x86-2.6.39-gentoo-r3 root=/dev/hda4 doscsi docache
    boot

Apart from my errors, the disk "sda" during setup has become "hda" since! Thanks to the panic message for alerting me to this.
    Still got problems but Hey! I'm in!