Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hi, I've got a ThinkPad T500 and i'm runnig linux (Kubuntu) on it for some time now. But when i tried to upgrade to version 11.04, i got a black ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Lenovo ThinkPad T500 new distros problem

Hi,

I've got a ThinkPad T500 and i'm runnig linux (Kubuntu) on it for some time now. But when i tried to upgrade to version 11.04, i got a black screen after boot. (with no response to any controls, just frozen). I tried openSUSE 11.4, Debian (also newest version), both with same issue. Older versions works well, but i don't want to stay on old version... Does anyone experiencing the same issue, or has a solution?

Thanks for answering

I can be found either 40 miles west of Chicago, in Chicago, or in a galaxy far, far away.
    What video hardware (chip set) does the T500 run? Also, can you run a live CD/DVD of 11.04, et al?
    Sometimes, real fast is almost as good as real time.
    Just remember, Semper Gumbi - always be flexible!

The T500 is listed as:

Screen: 15.4" 1680 x 1050 WSXGA+ LCD (Matte finish)
    Processor: Intel Core 2 Duo T9600 (2.80GHz, 1066MHz FSB, 6MB Cache)
    Memory: 2GB DDR3 RAM
    Storage: 160GB HDD (7200rpm)
    Optical Drive: DVD+/-RW
    Wireless: 802.11a/b/g/n, Bluetooth 2.0
    Graphics: ATI Mobility Radeon 3650 w/ 256MB or Intel X4500 integrated

Try an alternate install, and see where the hangup is. More than likely your graphics chip set is the problem. If Ubuntu 10.04 works, that is an LTS version (long term support). I would stay with that and not worry about 11.04. Another option is to try the live cd/dvd's of different distro's from distrowatch.com, and see if a different distro would work with your equipment.
    Registered Linux user #526930

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Just Joined!
    Sorry, i have forgotten to post here hw specs. Thanks MASONTX for posting them...

Kubuntu 10.10 and OpenSUSE 11.1 works fine, newest wersions does not, besides Live CD, which works fine. I've tried even alternate install, boot parameters, even disabling the ATI graphics card (leaving Intel card runnig) in BIOS. I have no problem with staying on slightly older distro now, but i wanna know where is the error and how to get rid of it, because even LTS is not supported for ever
    Last edited by j0hny666; 10-06-2011 at 01:45 PM.

I take it from the specs, that it is either ATI or Intel, not both. I once had an older Toshiba that of the approximately 30 distro's I tried, would only display right with GoblinOS, Puppy, and AntiX. You could also try updating your bios from the manufacturers website to see if that has any effect. It would be a good idea to visit the manufacturers website and see if they have any updates, fixes, or bug reports on the problem.
    Registered Linux user #526930