Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hello, I recently got hands on a Pavilion dv5-2070us notebook. This device comes with a preinstalled splashtop Linux which leads me to the conclusion that obviously most of the hardware ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Exclamation Linux on Pavilion dv5-2070us / enhancement of Splashtop OS possible?

Hello,

I recently got hands on a Pavilion dv5-2070us notebook.
    This device comes with a preinstalled splashtop Linux which leads me to the conclusion that obviously most of the hardware is already supported by Linux.
    I only wonder if it was possible to somehow enhance the functionallity of Splashtop OS and upgrade to a full featured version of eihther debian or Fedora OS (I`m not sure which architecture Splashtop is originally based on).
    That would hopefully give me the advantage of an instant-on Linux experience on my computer.
    Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you in advance.

@home...soon in your homes ;) /usr/src/bulgaria
    "Splashtop OS Overview
    For years Splashtop has been the leader in instant-on computing, powering notebooks and netbooks from leading PC makers around the world. Now for the first time, anyone can upgrade a Splashtop-based system to this new all-new, super-streamlined browser-based OS designed to get you on the Web in seconds."

Main product page for downloading Splashtop OS

"Splashtop is now based on the open source Chromium code that underlies Google's Chrome browser"

As far as i understand it's basically light linux that is just... basic And has mostly remote and networking capabilities.
    I'm guessing that whatever OS you choose you'll have to istall it from scratch.

As i said just a guess, as i never used Splashtop.
    Hope that helps you somehow

Just Joined!

Exclamation

Yes, sure it is what it is - basically a linux installation which comes with a few more tools like webbrowser and filemanager (very similar to Google Chrome OS).
    However, it is still Linux...
    I was just wondering if it is possible to boot something basic like Splashtop OS (or something similar, homebrew stuff) and then keep the OS/the linux kernel and userland running (instead of killing it), mount the harddrive and start the environment including KDE or Gnome from disc.
    This could result in significantly faster boot-up time especially if important components of Gnome/KDE would be stored in the flash as well.
    I was wondering if someone has ever thought about that?

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close