Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hello, I am trying to customise my Grub 2 menu and add a background image, but struggling to get it to work. I have a plethora of tutorials but I ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

[Solved] Grub 2 image not working

Hello,
    I am trying to customise my Grub 2 menu and add a background image, but struggling to get it to work. I have a plethora of tutorials but I must be missing something. Here is a quick recap of my steps:
    1. grub-update
    2. copy>paste grub.cfg into 40_custom
    3. make changes and change executables in grub.d
    4. all worked perfectly.
    - now for the image:
    1. add 8 bit .jpg image to /boot/grub
    2. grub-update - message that it recognised new image
    3. reboot - no-change...
    4. added specific path and file name to grub GRUB_BACKGROUND=/boot/grub/TuxLinux8bit.jpg
    5. grub-update - message recognised image and listed it twice.
    6. reboot - still-no-change

In some tutorials I see instructions to change use_bg=true, but I don't see a use_bg=false statement anywhere to change. The files reside in my Ubuntu partition and I notice the colors are still "Ubuntu" color scheme so I am wondering if this info is pulling from somewhere else...

Hope this makes sense. Any help?
    Last edited by bonesTdog; 10-12-2011 at 02:35 AM.

I don't really mess with the boot menu very much, so I don't have any specific thoughts on it.
    But the best GRUB2 info that I've seen to date might help... see here.
    Jay

New users, read this first.
    New Member FAQ
    Registered Linux User #463940
    I do not respond to private messages asking for Linux help. Please keep it on the public boards.

copy>paste grub.cfg into 40_custom
    Why did you do that? Did you copy all the contents of grub.cfg or just a few particular code?

1. add 8 bit .jpg image to /boot/grub
    Aren't you trying to use new SplashImage?
    It is amazing what you can accomplish if you do not care who gets the credit.
    New Users: Read This First

I wanted to customize the number of OS entries and the look of the menu verbiage. I followed these instructions: GRUB2 revisited |

Yes, I am trying to have a background image on my grub2 startup menu so it looks better.

Edit 1
    OK, I think I may have an idea. My 00_header, 05_debian, etc updates that feed grub.cfg may be overridden because the old versions are still in my 40_custom file which runs last. Should I copy those updated versions from grub.cfg into 40_custom or should I just delete them from 40_custom so they don't overrule... or am I confused. My brain hurts.

Edit 2
    Yes! That was my problem. I edited 40_custom and removed the entries that duplicated the executables (00_header, 05_debian and 20_Linux...). That is why grub recognised the image yet never loaded it. Thanks for your help. Your questions made me think about it a little differently and the lightbulb went on.
    Last edited by bonesTdog; 10-12-2011 at 02:29 AM.