Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hi, I have a kernel that I downloaded from kernel.org and built myself with all the AHCI options I could find statically built into the kernel as I don't want ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Linux Newbie

Getting kernel to boot on both IDE and AHCI mode

Hi,

I have a kernel that I downloaded from kernel.org and built myself with all the AHCI options I could find statically built into the kernel as I don't want to use an initrd.

The kernel boots up fine when I select AHCI mode in BIOS. However, when I select IDE, LILO gives a 99 99 99 error. I'm not sure what's wrong but is it due to a lack of IDE drivers in the kernel, even though the drive is a SATA drive?

I would like the kernel to boot in both AHCI or IDE mode if possible.

I can be found either 40 miles west of Chicago, in Chicago, or in a galaxy far, far away.
    What kernel version are you using? FWIW, LILO is a REALLY old boot loader. You should be using grub or grub2 for recent kernels/systems.
    Sometimes, real fast is almost as good as real time.
    Just remember, Semper Gumbi - always be flexible!

Linux Newbie
    I'm using 2.6.35.19. Anyway I discovered it's a hardware problem.

What are the benefits of grub over lilo though? I'm just using it to boot up and I need it to be as fast as possible with absolutely no output to the screen, i.e. the user shouldn't be able to identify the boot loader. To that end I've disabled all output from lilo and even modified the source code to remove some of the info/error messages. Can grub achieve this?

I can be found either 40 miles west of Chicago, in Chicago, or in a galaxy far, far away.
    Quote Originally Posted by galapogos View Post
    I'm using 2.6.35.19. Anyway I discovered it's a hardware problem.

What are the benefits of grub over lilo though? I'm just using it to boot up and I need it to be as fast as possible with absolutely no output to the screen, i.e. the user shouldn't be able to identify the boot loader. To that end I've disabled all output from lilo and even modified the source code to remove some of the info/error messages. Can grub achieve this?
    Good questions, to which I don't have the answer.

In any case, you should be able to configure grub to do that (silent boot), without modifying the source code. As I said, LILO is deprecated, defunct, and waaaay out of date. I don't think it will work with EFI/UEFI systems, for example, and newer/bigger hard drives that don't support 512 byte sectors.
    Sometimes, real fast is almost as good as real time.
    Just remember, Semper Gumbi - always be flexible!