Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hi forum, I really did something stupid, but that's done : I deleted my dedicated GRUB partition from the Windows partition manager, while uninstalling Ubuntu tu put a Debian instead. ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

GRUB partition deleted, unable to boot windows anymore

Hi forum,

I really did something stupid, but that's done : I deleted my dedicated GRUB partition from the Windows partition manager, while uninstalling Ubuntu tu put a Debian instead. Thing is, now my computer boots on grub rescue, because grub is obviously unable to find its image on any disc (remaining partitions are all NTFS). So, I'm stuck with no Windows and no Linux either.

I tried to use a live CD to install Debian, and also a Ubuntu live CD, but neither of these are able to partition from my main NTFS partition, which format seems to not be recognized. And since I can't boot on Windows anymore because of grub-rescue, I can't partition the ntfs disc from Windows ...

So does anybody have the genius idea ? What are my options, apart from sacrificing my windows partition ? Is there a way to pass the grub rescue prompt and find the Windows loader instead ?

Thanks by advance,
    Sktx

Hello and Welcome!

There are several methods to reinstall GRUB.
    Check this page for some good info.
    You'll probably want the entry labeled Copy LiveCD Files. Just scroll down a little bit.
    Jay

New users, read this first.
    New Member FAQ
    Registered Linux User #463940
    I do not respond to private messages asking for Linux help. Please keep it on the public boards.

Just Joined!
    Is it possible to install and launch grub on a ntfs partition ? This page asks me to use the ubuntu partition to reinstall grub, but I don't have a linux-compatible partition anymore, so I may try this at last, but I'm really sceptical...

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    If you're not ready to install another Linux distro just yet, then you'll need to repair/reinstall the Windows boot-loader.
    I'm completely unfamiliar with doing so. However, a Google search gave some good looking stuff.
    Google

Hopefully, one of those will do the trick for you.
    What version of Windows is it?
    Jay

New users, read this first.
    New Member FAQ
    Registered Linux User #463940
    I do not respond to private messages asking for Linux help. Please keep it on the public boards.

Just Joined!
    It's 7. Thanks for the link, I didn't think of actually using the Windows install CD to cure the MBR. Will give news as soon as there is, thanks !

EDIT : news ! I realized I had an old Windows recovery partition, I used it to install Debian, Grub was correctly installed and I used it to launch Windows, allow free space, and fused it to the Debian partition. Finally saved. I couldn't find my Windows install DVD, but I guess your solution would have worked too. Thanks a lot, this forum seems just great.
    Last edited by Sktx; 10-29-2011 at 01:29 PM.