Find the answer to your Linux question:
Not really an installation question, but it is to do with grub and the booting process. My primary disk is starting to fail (random I/O errors) so I need to ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Failing disk - moving grub etc to new disk

Not really an installation question, but it is to do with grub and the booting process.

My primary disk is starting to fail (random I/O errors) so I need to move everything into a fresh disk. I'm planning to use a disk that is already fitted and already has some data on it.

My primary disk has everything under a single partition, so I've copied all the files onto the existing partition of the new disk; but now I need to handle grub.

At the moment my debian system loads grub, then grub2. I've made a copy of the MBR from the primary disk, but wondering if I actually need this. Could I use grub-install to generate an MBR on the secondary disk? Then just change the boot order in my BIOS so that it searches this secondary disk first? Or do I need to make the first (and only) partition on the secondary disk bootable?

Linux Guru
    Could I use grub-install to generate an MBR on the secondary disk?
    Yes, you could do this but you make reference to having Grub Legacy boot Grub2 and also make a reference to Debian but not as to whether you have any other operating system? If you only have Debian, why both versions of Grub?

What operating systems do you have? Debian only? Others?
    Use the installation disk for whatever system you are going to boot so you have its Grub.
    You don't need to mark a partition as active in Linux.

Just Joined!
    Sorry yes, it's just Debian on the machine. I move from Debian 5 to 6 a few months ago, and that caused Grub2 to be installed. It kept Grub Legacy and that loads up Grub2

Linux Guru
    It kept Grub Legacy and that loads up Grub2
    Do you first see the old Grub boot menu, select Debian and get another Grub boot menu? I would have expected an upgrade to install Grub2 in place of Grub Legacy. Your old grub files would still be there.

After transferring your data to the new hard drive, you could use your Debian install CD to reinstall Grub. If you are using Grub2, you can check this site for reinstalling Grub2 from a CD. It's for Ubuntu but the method should be the same:

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Grub2