Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hello, I tried to install Linux Redhat 9.0 on my newly purchased NEC-E6000-161-DW laptop. this is a screen capture of my devices in the computer managenent view under windows device ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Installing Linux on NEC-E6000-161-DW

Hello, I tried to install Linux Redhat 9.0 on my newly purchased NEC-E6000-161-DW laptop.

this is a screen capture of my devices in the computer managenent view under windows device manager.
    http://www.geocities.com/lishanz/nec-e6000-161dw.html

Other Specifications which may be of interest are as followed :
    2 x 256 Acearchers so-dimm sdram 333hz
    lapmate opticplus usb mouse
    1.6 ghz pentium m processor

My hard disk has been reformatted and partition into
    C:/ 20 gigabytes (FAT32) - WinXP Pro
    D:/ 20 gigabytes NTFS
    E:/ 10 gigabytes NTFS
    F:/ 10 (unformatted)

I plan to make a dual boot OS system with windows XP as the default.
    I need to have a linux OS installed on my laptop because I would like to get to know about linux more and to program in fortran codes (for my project)

the last file partition was set to ext3

after enduring some flickering in the screen as I walked through the redhat 9.0 graphical install, i managed to made it to the end of the installation process asking me to reboot.

i tried to install linux redhat and was successful. but when i try to reboot i saw a whole few screens of normal linux loading, the screen starts to have rows of numbers scrolling again and again.

later, I tried to reformat my hard disk to put in only linux redhat 9.0 (making it linux only laptop) but then the same error occur again. I then used my win xp pro to reboot and to get back my original laptop OS configuration before I proceed.

Can someone recommend me a good newbies laptop linux distro suitable for my dual OS and hardware and software system configuration? I am wondering if i am unable to install linux redhat 9.0 because this distro is too old?

thank you. would be happy to provide more technical details to aid in the diagnosis if required. thanks!

Linux Enthusiast
    Well it would certainly help to have a newer distro. Fedora Core is great for newbies, both those who want it to 'just work' and those who want to learn. Fedora Core is (sort of) a continuation of the redhat line, but it's a community project, not directly supported by Redhat.
    The latest version of Fedora Core is Fedora Core 3 (released in November 2004)
    If you really want to learn about Linux, and you have a lot of freetime and a decent internet connection, do a stage-1 Gentoo install. It compiles the entire system from source locally, so that although it will take a very long time to install, it will run very fast and will be more customized.
    Emotions are the key to the soul.
    Registered Linux User #375050