Find the answer to your Linux question:
I`m trying to bring some life back into my girlfriends Asus Eee 900 which run incredibly slow on WinXP. So here I am on browser linux. Pretty nice I have ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

How to install browser linux permanently from usb?

I`m trying to bring some life back into my girlfriends Asus Eee 900 which run incredibly slow on WinXP.

So here I am on browser linux. Pretty nice I have to say!
    The problem is that I`m running it from the usb.

My question is therefore. How do I install it permanently to the computer so I don`t need to have the usb plugged in?

I don`t need windows on it by the way. The password is lost, so I can`t even log in, haha. I just want it to run something extremely lightweight like browser linux, as websurfing is all it will be used for anyway.

Hope there`s a simple solution to this. Thanks in advance.

I run Debian Sid on my 900. You should be able to boot from the liveUSB drive, run the installer, and install to the internal SSD. I would recommend using XFCE or another light-weight desktop environment, though, because Gnome3 is very, very slow on a 900. I had to give up Gnome when Gnome3 hit Sid, because it's just too slow to be bearable unless you have a very fast CPU and a ton of RAM. The poor interface is beside the point, since some like it, but the performance issues are real. Debian Stable, aka Squeeze, still has Gnome2, which will run fine on a 900. You can also install Ubuntu or another distro, all should be OK except the latest Fedora, which also has Gnome3.

Just Joined!

Smile Simple solution = Puppy Linux

Quote Originally Posted by lixus View Post
    Hope there`s a simple solution to this. Thanks in advance.
    Sorry I don't know about browser linux...but I do know that a great answer to need for small footprint linux is Puppy Linux. Can be run from disk or installed; runs great and is very fast. Download, burn iso to disk, install. You can probably also do this with a usb, but I've never done it that way.

good luck...
    Sr. Dorothy
    Last edited by srdorothy; 11-10-2011 at 12:45 AM. Reason: left out word

Just Joined!
    Quote Originally Posted by srdorothy View Post
    Sorry I don't know about browser linux...but I do know that a great answer to need for small footprint linux is Puppy Linux. Can be run from disk or installed; runs great and is very fast. Download, burn iso to disk, install. You can probably also do this with a usb, but I've never done it that way.

good luck...
    Sr. Dorothy
    While you're booted from your USB, you can download and install unetbootin, then install almost any distribution directly onto the Eee. You can install Puppy, Ubuntu or (as is mentioned above) anything with xfce for a desktop. I use Xubuntu because I like the access to ready-to-use repositories and xfce.

If you find a distro you like that isn't on the unetbootin list, download the iso file and select it as an install option. Just remember the Eee power isn't the best, stay with something lightweight.

Errrr. Just to clear things up in this thread. Browser Linux is a Puppy Linux based Iso also known as a Puplet.

It will install like any regular Puppy Iso as it uses Puppy Linux installer. Best way to install Puppy in a EEEPC (I own 2 of them) is to beg,borrow, or steal a usb external DVDRW or CDROM Or CDRW and install Browser Linux from a CD. Because.

During the Puppy Installer Process, It asks for where the Puppy files are located. The default is to look inside of the CD. I would do a frugal install of Browser Linux to your EEEPC and when shutting down. Make a 1gig save file till you get comfortable using Puppy/Browser Linux.

Me though. I run Puppy off of external SD flash (frugal with save) on my EEEPCs because I run Antix on my internal SSD drives. Kinda like sgosnell but mine Is Debian Wheezy instead of Sid. Plus I run Open Box style of Desktops instead Of Gnome, Kde, or XFCE.

Browser Linux – An Extremely Lightweight & Fast OS For Older x86 Computers [Linux]
    Last edited by rokytnji; 11-10-2011 at 09:56 PM.
    Linux Registered User # 475019
    Lead,Follow, or get the heck out of the way. I Have a Masters in Raising Hell
    Tech Books
    Free Linux Books
    Newbie Guide
    Courses at Home

Just Joined!

Puppy / Browser linux

Quote Originally Posted by rokytnji View Post
    Errrr. Just to clear things up in this thread. Browser Linux is a Puppy Linux based Iso also known as a Puplet.
    Well, I'm learning a lot! thanks for the info....

I forgot to mention which Puppy versions run real well out of the box on my EEEPC 701SD 8gig SSD and 900 dual drive 4gig/16gig internal SSD hardrives . Like I said earlier. I run off of external SD flash card (4gig).

Macpup 528 with E17 Desktop and Puppeee 4.4. I have uploaded Puppeee up to Puppy wayback machine since Jemimah the developer of Puppeee has real world commitments and took her site down.

General Discussion

For Macpup 528

Macpup: A beautiful derivative of Puppy Linux

Macpup 528 Hardkap

I am a beta tester for Macpup so I tested Macpup 528 on My eeepcs and they both worked fine before the final release.
    Linux Registered User # 475019
    Lead,Follow, or get the heck out of the way. I Have a Masters in Raising Hell
    Tech Books
    Free Linux Books
    Newbie Guide
    Courses at Home

Just Joined!
    Thank you very much for this useful instructions with the community. This is highly appreciated. I always have problems with the browser linux, therefore I always need the help of my friends to get everything figured out (which annoys them and me as well ). It's good to get it installed permanently, so thank you for the help in this case