Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hello all, I have been trying to install Ubuntu 10.04 on my VX855 chipset system, however when I reach the installation screen, the screen is illegible (see images below). I ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Unhappy Can't install Ubuntu 10.04 on VIA VX855, video issues

Hello all,

I have been trying to install Ubuntu 10.04 on my VX855 chipset system, however when I reach the installation screen, the screen is illegible (see images below).

I have the video drivers, however, from what I'm aware there is no way to install them before the installation begins. Is there another way of installation or a way to install that doesn't require video output?

Thanks in advance for the assistance.

ubuntu1.jpgubuntu2.jpg

have you tried the alternate install cd?
    Registered Linux user #526930

Just Joined!
    Quote Originally Posted by MASONTX View Post
    have you tried the alternate install cd?
    Thanks for the quick reply!

I will try that and see how it goes.
    Last edited by seangcxq; 11-15-2011 at 05:18 AM.

Just Joined!
    I tried to install 10.04.3-alternate-i386.iso, and as with the previous attempts it all worked until I started the install, and the screen was as in the image above.

I also tried other installations of 10.04 and 10.10, as well as kubuntu 10.04 standard & minimal.

I was able to install 11.10, but Via does not have video drivers to support 11.10 so I wasn't able to get a resolution above 640x480.

Can you go in under the monitor settings and manually set a res higher than 640x480? Do you have all the updates from your manufacturer and chipset websites? Also, try going to a terminal and typing sudo apt-get restricted extras.
    Registered Linux user #526930

Just Joined!
    On 11.10 I used Xrandr to modify the resolution but only the 640x480 worked, I'm guessing because of the default driver being used. As I said in an earlier post the official drivers only support 10.04 (which I can't install for the above reasons). I did try using the 10.04 official drivers with 11.10 but I wasn't able to get them to work. I also tried downgrading 11.10 to 10.04 after installing, then installing the official drivers, but that didn't work either, presumably due to a failed downgrade.

I haven't tried apt-get restricted extras, I will try that and report back.

Many thanks for the help