Find the answer to your Linux question:
i have a copy of redhat desktop version 5.3 i think and i am trying to install it to a hp pavilion 742n that is already running ubuntu 11.04 (i ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

Installing red hat from dvd dual booting from redhat (cant boot dvd)

i have a copy of redhat desktop version 5.3 i think and i am trying to install it to a hp pavilion 742n that is already running ubuntu 11.04 (i wanna dual boot) So i go into the boot options in bios the have cd option but not a dvd option because i have a cd drive and seperate dvd drive. I looked at my drives and the cd drive was set to master and the dvd to slave. the cd drive had the little white plastic jumper in the middle pins and the dvd drive had no jumper. I assume and i am probably assuming wrong that the cd drive is cable select so it could boot just like the hard drive because the hard drive is set as master as well. Basically i wanna know what i have to do to boot my dvd.

Sorry for a very poorly written post i am in a hurry any help is appreciated

Despite what the jumpers tell you on the backs of the drive, provided the BIOS has found them, then it'll give you the option to pick the boot device by name (unless your main board is extremely old). Just take a look through your bios for the right boot device option. Some give you the option to boot hdd/optical/fdd/usb and then force you to select the actual device from a selection of those it found in a separate list (my eee pc does this) so be prepared to hunt around for it.
    Linux user #126863 - see http://linuxcounter.net/

I can be found either 40 miles west of Chicago, in Chicago, or in a galaxy far, far away.
    If this system will boot from USB, then use Unetbootin to create a bootable LiveUSB drive from the DVD or ISO image of the DVD, then boot from that and install the OS as you wish.
    Sometimes, real fast is almost as good as real time.
    Just remember, Semper Gumbi - always be flexible!