Find the answer to your Linux question:
I've tried to install Arch Linux on my macbook(x86), but when I try to boot from the installer CD(through rEFIt or holding option button on startup), it only shows a ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Installer CD won't boot correctly on Macbook

I've tried to install Arch Linux on my macbook(x86), but when I try to boot from the installer CD(through rEFIt or holding option button on startup), it only shows a blinking cursor. I tried using the same CD on another mac, and it was able to boot with it fine. Any ideas?

I can be found either 40 miles west of Chicago, in Chicago, or in a galaxy far, far away.
    Are you sure this version of Arch supports the EFI (extended firmware enterface) that the Mac uses instead of the old x86 BIOS?

Also, since another Mac was able to boot it, what is the difference in age and model? Also, it may be possible that the disc is a bit out of alignment with the drive in the system that won't boot it. Did you try to burn the disc on that specific machine?
    Sometimes, real fast is almost as good as real time.
    Just remember, Semper Gumbi - always be flexible!

Just Joined!
    The mac that it worked on was from 09, a year newer than mine, which use EFI instead of BIOS also. And the computer I used to burn the installer CD was my mac, the one that isn't booting it correctly.

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    I can be found either 40 miles west of Chicago, in Chicago, or in a galaxy far, far away.
    Quote Originally Posted by Revisore61790 View Post
    The mac that it worked on was from 09, a year newer than mine, which use EFI instead of BIOS also. And the computer I used to burn the installer CD was my mac, the one that isn't booting it correctly.
    So, does your Mac use EFI, or the older BIOS?

Just Joined!
    Quote Originally Posted by Rubberman View Post
    So, does your Mac use EFI, or the older BIOS?
    My Mac is EFI as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Revisore61790 View Post
    My Mac is EFI as well.
    Have you tried other distributions, such as Ubuntu, Mint, etc?

Just Joined!
    All I've tried is gentoo and arch. I'll try ubuntu.

Just Joined!
    So I actually tried booting from a linux mint DVD and it worked. Just for the hell of it I tried burning an Arch linux DVD which worked but after partitioning with parted in arch Linux to prepare the install, my Mac went back to the blinking cursor after I restarted. It proceeded to do the same for the Linux mint DVD too. I tried reverting my HDD to the previous partition setup, but it's still showing the blinking cursor when I boot with either DVD.

Well, try Mint, and if not that then try Scientific Linux (it does support UEFI firmware). FWIW, SL is a Red Hat Enterprise Linux clone. The 6.1 version works with most hardware I have tried.

Just Joined!
    I don't know if this will work for everyone but I managed to run Live CDs of several flavours of linux on my MBP 8.1 by burning the .iso to both a cd and a usb, and booting with both available in their drive / usb port.

This enabled me to try several versions before settling on Kubuntu 11.10

I now successfully dual boot using rEFIt.
    I wish you the best of luck