Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hi All! I am looking for a file system which supports block sizes (or clusters, whichever your flavor of term) as low as 128-256 bytes per block/cluster/sector while supporting disk ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

A Specific Filesystem

Hi All!

I am looking for a file system which supports block sizes (or clusters, whichever your flavor of term) as low as 128-256 bytes per block/cluster/sector while supporting disk sizes over 20GB.

The file system does not have to be natively supported by linux but if you simply just know of one I would appreciate the enlightenment.

For example, NTFS supports 512-byte clustering while retaining hundred of GBs in disk size capacity.

Thanks all ahead of time. Any help which you can provide will be immensely appreciated.

Probably not the answer you are seeking:

Punix OS: The Punix File System (with some background history)
    linux user # 503963

I can be found either 40 miles west of Chicago, or in a galaxy far, far away.
    No such luck, I'm afraid. Part of this is due to disc and file system segment number limitations. IE, if your system supports 32-bit segment numbers (4 billion segments approximately) and your segment size is 512 (an old limit), then it can support file system sizes up to 2TB. Ok for MOST current discs, but not for arrays or clusters. Current file systems are using 4K sector sizes, which can support much larger file systems.

So, I have to ask, why do you want a file system that support such small segment sizes? FWIW, a 128 byte segment size on a 32-bit system will only support a 500GB file system, which is much larger than your requested 20GB size. So, in theory, you can do that. However, I am not aware of any current systems that support 128-256 byte sectors. In case you are interested, the default sector size for the real-time QNX operating system (about the most efficient I am aware of) was 512 bytes, and was ALWAYS 512 bytes (hardware limited by early hard drives and controllers), and I have been using QNX since 1982.
    Sometimes, real fast is almost as good as real time.
    Just remember, Semper Gumbi - always be flexible!