Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Tricky Install because the Hardware is an OQO Model 1 I bought an OQO secondhand and decided to reinstall Windows... While doing that my friend unplugged the USB Disk Drive ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

VERY TRICKY INSTALL! Help desperately needed.

Tricky Install because the Hardware is an OQO Model 1

I bought an OQO secondhand and decided to reinstall Windows... While doing that my friend unplugged the USB Disk Drive while it was installing and it screwed it all up and I couldn't finish installing windows... It just Dumps to a windows install screen about 1/2 way thru the process of installing then refuses to see the install disk that it asks for... So I shelved the OQO for about 2 years maybe 3...

Recently I started messing around with Linux and decided to try to install Linux on the OQO to see if I could get it to kill Windows.

After much difficulty I managed to get it to open the Bios (still unsure exactly how I did that) and got it to look for the usb. I tried (IIRC) a copy of TAILS which is basically an amnesiac version of Debian GNU 6.0.3? ish

Immediately after the OQO splash screen it gave me 2 lines that said

USB Boot Device : MASS Storage Class [0300h/10h/20h]

SYSLINUX 4.04 EDD 2011-04-18 Copyright (C) 1994-2011 H. Peter Anvin et al

Then it just sits there....

I started looking into it and found that Ubuntu 8.10 something or other... supposedly works well.

so I downloaded that but what I D/L was an IMG file not an .iso so I couldn't figure how to make a USB drive from it. So I downloaded an .iso of 8.10 ish whatever was recommended in various forums only to find the program I had to make and ISO into a bootable USB didn't like that VER of Ubuntu because it was old. I then d/led IIRC either 10+ or 11+ ubuntu (I forget which atm but it doesn't seem to be too important at the moment because...well I'll get to that.) And that I was able to make into a bootable usb. however that USB gives me about the same 2 line message.

I think the USB line was slightly different in the [...] portion of the USB line because I actually used a different USB stick from the one that had Tails on. But with the Ubuntu version I get more or less the same 2 lines and then it just sits there.

I have since Learned that Ubuntu 9.10 works as well thus I would presume more recent versions should as well... I digress

So basically right now I have a really expensive BRICK... Or at least a QUASI BRICK.

Can anyone help me fix this... as I would REALLY like to un-brick my OQO. I really don't care either way Win or Linux... Tho I prefer to get Linux running on it...as long as it's not a brick I can always get Linux working later.

Thanx in advance
    CHEERS

I can be found either 40 miles west of Chicago, in Chicago, or in a galaxy far, far away.
    So, are you trying to install Linux on the USB device? How are you booting the installation disc? Did you burn an ISO to a CD/DVD for installation, or did you try to make a bootable USB thumb drive? Anyway, your post is a bit confusing, so try to keep it simple for those of us who are up earlier than usual and haven't finished our first cup of coffee yet...
    Sometimes, real fast is almost as good as real time.
    Just remember, Semper Gumbi - always be flexible!

Just Joined!
    Sorry for the confusion.

I have 2 USB Flash Drives... one is set up with a Live CD version of Debian GNU called Tails. The other is what should be a normal Install Disk of Ubuntu (I forget what Version off the top of my head) but is 10+ maybe 11+. I am CERTAIN the Tails USB is working correctly as it works on my other computers. I haven't bothered to try the Ubuntu one on my other Computers but It was set up with the SAME program as the TAILS drive and it said it was successful. Since it throws the Same Error as the Tails USB I figure it's working. I hate to assume, but in this case I'm fairly certain the Ubuntu USB would work as intended if I used it on one of my other machines. Same as the Tails USB does.

I ALSO have a USB DVD Drive that takes normal burnt disks but my OQO gives me an error when I put a DVD install disk in that Drive and says something to the effect of there's no bootable disk in the drive even when there IS...I have tried both a LIVE CD of Tails as well as a burnt copy of Debian GNU 6.0.3. neither of theose disks work and both give me the same problem. If I coax it right tho I can get it past just throwing the immediate error but then it says it's checking the DVD Drive then it just spins that Drive up and down in very short intervals maybe 2-3 sec. Then occasionally/intermittently it spins up like it's actually reading the DVD but then stops and short cycles again. maybe 6-7 sec.

I seem to have the most success with the USB Flash Drives because at least when It reads that It displays the SYSLINUX 4.04 message as stated in the first post.

I hope that clears up what's going on.

Cheers

Kodo

Just for info rubberman

The 1GHz Crusoe processor and 512MB of RAM cope fine if you stick to one job at a time, but if you try to run too many applications at once and start to flick between them you’ll notice significant slowdown – that said, the memory complement is a big improvement on the 256MB seen in the original model 01
    from

OQO model 01+ Tablet Edition Laptop review - Trusted Reviews

My take on that unit is it is not a arm processor (not sure though) and has a pop out QWERTY keyboard to boot.
    I could have some fun installing AntiX on that baby if not a arm processor but intel powered instead.

I think the 512MB ram limitation is what is killing his Ubuntu tryouts. Something smaller footprint like like
    Semplice, Lubuntu, AntiX, Slitaz, Puppy, might be more in order for that little neato tablet (cool beans)
    Linux Registered User # 475019
    Lead,Follow, or get the heck out of the way. I Have a Masters in Raising Hell
    Tech Books
    Free Linux Books
    Newbie Guide
    Courses at Home

Double Post.

Tell us what you are using to make the bootable usb. Is it LILI or Unetbootin or what also.
    Last edited by rokytnji; 12-27-2011 at 03:11 PM. Reason: Double Post
    Tech Books
    Free Linux Books
    Newbie Guide
    Courses at Home

Quote Originally Posted by rokytnji View Post
    I think the 512MB ram limitation
    Model 01 on the wiki shows 256mb

Just Joined!
    yes this is a model 1 not a model 1+

the program I'm using to make the USB Drive is called

Universal-USB-Installer.exe (it's a windows program as windows was all I had when first starting to dabble into linux)

from

pendrivelinux.com

I don't recall if the Memory or HDD had been upgraded by the previous owner. I may be able to find out in the BIOS. but I do know it is powerfull enough to run the FULL Windows XP and not some pocket PC version of Win...

But I'm sure I would be happy with a lighter version of Linux... Puppy sounds cute... Maybe I should try that... or another real light version of linux just til I get it running and see what it can do.

Semplice, Lubuntu, AntiX, Slitaz, Puppy... Is the suggested list so far... So I'll start looking into some of those optionsl... maybe MINT as well... a friend told me she has that on her moms laptop and it's supposedly lightweight for the laptop. tho I don't know if she's talking out her rear end or not.

Time for me to do some reading and experimenting.

I think the 512MB ram limitation is what is killing his Ubuntu tryouts.
    I have it on authority that up Ubuntu 8.10 is supposed to be able to work possibly even 9.10. but then again I don't know if maybe that was experienced operators pushing the limits of the possible rather than trying to run whats most practical and economical. Could possibly be they are just not listing that they are using a more upgraded OQO than what I have...

One more IMPORTANT thing tho. I have no Idea the architecture so how do I know what architecture vesionr of any of these given lightweight distros is going to be the right one???? I looked up Semplice and it says for i486... how do I tell???

I'll keep you all posted.
    Cheers
    Last edited by Kodocha; 12-28-2011 at 04:22 PM.

Just Joined!
    NEW Info reason for double post

I have since tried to run

puppy-4.2retro-k2.6.21.7-seamonkey.iso

NO JOY

as well as

semplice_2.0.0_200.0.iso

Semplice said it was i486 tho so am not sure that's what I wanted but couldn't get it to work anyway. Part of the problems I had was the USB I was trying to use wasn't bootable... Some just can't be used for booting... so I tried another one that I know works for booting and tested it on my netbook... with puppy it worked Fine. I didn't try it with Semplice. But I'm fairly convinced that it wouldn't have fared any better.

Either way... I get more or less the same problem comes up with puppy. It gives me the same 2 line message on the screen then just sits there...

slight difference in the second line because I think it's a slightly older ver of puppy... says
    Code:
    SYSLINUX 4.02 debian-20101014 EDD Copyright (C) 1994-2010 H. Peter Anvin et al
    The notable differences are the 4.02 as opposed to 4.04 and the format for the date 20101014 and maybe the copyright date IIRC was 2011 on the other OS I tried.

Otherwise I know the USB Drive to be a functioning boot-able drive flashdrive of puppy.

Go join Puppy Linux Discussion Forum :: Index - Puppy Linux Discussion Forum and copy and paste part of your thread there.

They are very knowledgeable about getting Puppy to boot from USB and are very helpful also.
    Your OXO is probably 256MB of ram so be sure to mention that fact.
    They will be intrigued also with your tablet model also.
    Be detailed and let them know you are a virgin puppy user also.

search engine for puppy if you want to try and solve yourself.

Puppy Google Search

The i486 Semplice iso is OK also for your OXO as well as i386,i586,and i686 also

Good luck and Happy New Year, Rok
    Tech Books
    Free Linux Books
    Newbie Guide
    Courses at Home

I can be found either 40 miles west of Chicago, in Chicago, or in a galaxy far, far away.
    You may have answered this, but have you tried using Unetbootin to create a bootable flash usb drive?
    Sometimes, real fast is almost as good as real time.
    Just remember, Semper Gumbi - always be flexible!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast