Find the answer to your Linux question:
First problem: A friend has Win 2000 machine he is discarding, but to extend the life of his hardware I tried to help load first linux mint 11 and then ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Unable to install linux--several aspects

First problem: A friend has Win 2000 machine he is discarding, but to extend the life of his hardware I tried to help load first linux mint 11 and then puppy linux, but neither would even get to a splash screen. Some initial loading text would occur but nothing after that. The CD drive did sound as though it was trying to load.

Second: on a new top end HP envy laptop I tried to load unbuntu 11.10 but this same blank screen occurs as in the first problem.

A third but different problems if anyone can help: trying to dual boot Bodhi linux with win xp, but the xp password is lost. Anyway to recover that passwork and even just reinstall the win xp as I do not have the orginal discs? The Bodhi distro has installed fine.

Tx for any help

Hello and Welcome!

Let's tackle the easiest one first... a lost Windows password.
    Take a look at this page. I've used that method several times, so I can attest to it working. I don't know for sure what software Bodhi has available, but either a Ubuntu or Mint CD will do the job nicely.

As for your other 2 computers not booting with the install discs, let me ask this. Do those discs work on other computers? Or do other discs work on these computers? For the Win2000 machine, specifically, you have an older model optical drive there, so you may want to burn a Mint CD at a far slower speed to ensure a good burn, giving the drive the best chance to read the media.
    Jay

New users, read this first.
    New Member FAQ
    Registered Linux User #463940
    I do not respond to private messages asking for Linux help. Please keep it on the public boards.

Just Joined!
    Tx. I was able to recover access to Win XP.
    I have used the discs in question before and they worked fine.
    I will try the suggestion of slower burn of the installation discs, but that will be a while.

What are the system specs of the Win2000 computer?
    CPU type? RAM?

Newer versions of Mint recommend a full gig of RAM to run properly, so you may also want to look at something like antiX or MEPIS.
    Jay

New Member FAQ
    I do not respond to private messages asking for Linux help. Please keep it on the public boards.

Just Joined!
    I do not know the specs, but that is why I tried Puppy Linux which did the same thing.

You might try booting something like PartedMagic.
    That would serve several purposes.
    First, we would know that the optical drive in the computer works.
    Second, we would be able to get a good idea of the system resources that you're dealing with there.
    Finally, it can be used to prepare your partitions for any future Linux installation.
    Jay

New Member FAQ

Just Joined!
    That's a good idea to try the partition first.

I can be found either 40 miles west of Chicago, in Chicago, or in a galaxy far, far away.
    Did you try to install a 64-bit version of Linux on a 32-bit machine?
    Sometimes, real fast is almost as good as real time.
    Just remember, Semper Gumbi - always be flexible!

Just Joined!
    no, I used the right one