Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
I've never seen the 100mb partition or a hidden partition in either the windows or the linux partitioner. This is a custom built pc. When I installed Windows 7 I ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

I've never seen the 100mb partition or a hidden partition in either the windows or the linux partitioner. This is a custom built pc. When I installed Windows 7 I used two partitions, the C: drive and a second partition for everything else. I did this because I had windows crash and burn on me for no explainable reason so I was trying to protect the OS.

This is a 64 computer. There is already more than 300gb of unallocated space on the drive so I shouldn't have to make windows any smaller. I have a lot of music, pictures and movies on my C drive it's necessary to have a lot of space. Is windows interfering and blocking access to the hard drive? Would it be easier to reformat the drive and install linux than reinstall windows?

Just Joined!
    1. R u using PartedMagic to partition your drives? 2. R U installing it to ram? If not (2) Try (2) your problem may go away.

Just Joined!
    If you R going to use Windows and Linux, Windows has to be installed 1st.

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Just Joined!
    I first used the Partition manager that's mentioned earlier to partition the drive. Than I used gparted from Ubuntu try without installing. How do you install to ram?

Just Joined!

Partitioning

Jan ,The highly likely reason that you cannot partition is that you do not use a Live version of Gparted on a CD or memory stick.
    But that you started the PC with Windows ,meaning that the Hard Drive is 'mountedī ie in operation.
    You only can change partitioning of the HD when it is not mounted ,meaning that you need another device to boot the PC.
    To do that you need a Live version of Gparted (on a CD or memory stick) and make sure that ( inserted prior to start-up of the PC) it is the first device to boot . You can set that in the BIOS

When you now boot the machine the HD remains unmounted and you can re-partition.

Veel succes

Frank in northern Scotland
    Quote Originally Posted by jvangeystel View Post
    Sorry if it's a lot of text, I tried to be to the point and descriptive to.

The Problem: No matter how or what I do the built in partition manager that allows you to setup your partitions during installation does not work at all. It doesn't show any partitions and doesn't allow me to change anything. It shows the dba thing so I believe it is recognizing the drive. I even went so far as to try and install Linux as the only OS and it still won't budge. I can't seem to get past the root folder. It keeps saying need root folder or root folder not defined.

How do I get a correctly working partition to install linux on. I have a 1.5TB hard drive. I want about 250gb dedicated for linux. I am currently using Windows 7 and just in case...

Intel Core I3 3.785ghz (overclocked)
    4gb of ram
    1gb asus radeon 7660 (i think)
    Seagate Barricuda LP 1.5TB 5400 rpm hard drive

I am taking the first couple classes towards a Computer Science associates. Next semester I will be taking a linux class so I want to familiarize myself. I have installed a successful boot of an old version of Ubuntu on a different pc with Vista. I am following all instructions and have searched relentlessly for two day and just can't get it to install.

If necessary for better understanding of my problem I can and will record and post a video to youtube of how I am trying to install. Also I am self taught and don't have extensive background in the technical stuff.

Just Joined!
    I can successfully partition the drive from gparted. I am using a usb stick to boot from. The problem is the ubuntu doesn't show any of the partitions I make when I get to the partition manager part of installation. It also will not allow me to add or select any other option from the menu. It does sound like what you are explaining but how would that be the case if I can change partitions and I am booting from USB.

Just Joined!
    1. Ah " This is a custom built pc."
    2. In my thinking if using acustom build PC you have total control and so I would use a separate hard disc for any Linux OS.
    3. It is always better to use separate hard drives for different OS if you have capability & can afford extra drive.
    4. This avoids all tampering with Windows installation; and if boot is set up by GRUB on the second hard drive and it chain loads to Windows.Thus you always get a choice in boot screen - load Windows or load xyz linux. You can also set to default after say 15 seconds to Windows if you do not select linux.
    5. I am worried about missing 100MB windows hidden partion, as I understand it is always set on a Windows 7 OS, if you have operated without it, then the boot system may be strange/odd. As others say windows MUST dominate and be first on C drive,
    QUOTE from MS forum
    Thanks for posting to Getting Ready for Windows 7 .
    The 100MB partition is a system partition and contains boot files. Disk Manager will not allow you to remove this partition because removing this partition could cause the system to not boot.
    Thanks for posting your question to Getting Ready for Winows 7 community group.
    Regards,
    Debbie
    Microsoft Answers Support Engineer
    Visit our Microsoft Answers Feedback Forum and let us know what you think.

Just Joined!
    Jan , May I suggest you do the following . With Gparted delete the partitions you made with the result that it becomes unallocated space.
    If you now install the distro ,Ubuntu finds the unallocated space and will install itself there ,be it that there will only be a root partition, symbol: / (which includes /home) and a swap space. I remember that you can determine both the / size as well as the swap space.
    Try this method ....it worked for me.

BTW my favourite distro is Linux Mint.

Succes

Frank in northern Scotland

Just Joined!
    eionmac: You hit it pretty close I believe. I am now thinking based on your statement that while messing with partitions I screwed up the order. I believe I accidentally created a partition that sat before windows on the drive deleting the 100mb partition which is why my Windows install would not boot. I corrected this using the windows disk. Maybe if I reinstalled windows so that it was first on the drive once again as I am thinking that the 100mb is hidden in the 300gb unallocated space before the c drive. This would make it possible to partition after windows and install Linux. Otherwise if this does not work I think I am doomed to wait until I can get another hard drive. Linux is supposed to be so good at installing next to windows I don't understand how I created this problem from myself. Any thoughts or ideas on other ways to fix this, I have games and pics on my computer that take up a lot of space and therefore hard to back up.

Just Joined!
    SOLVED: Kind of. I have a second hard drive now, so a solution was never found for the original problem if you are experiencing the same thing. New problem now, I have Ubuntu and windows 7 installed one on each hard drive but grub doesn't pop up as I believe it is not recognising Windows. So to switch OSs I have to change the boot order in bios every time.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2