Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
I recently installed RH 8 on a second hard drive(15gb) Well, when I first attempted to install RH 8, the computer wasn't doing anything when I had the CD in ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

RH 8 and Windows 2000 problems

I recently installed RH 8 on a second hard drive(15gb) Well, when I first attempted to install RH 8, the computer wasn't doing anything when I had the CD in when it was booting. It was just going to the Windows 2000 start up thing. So, I removed the hard drive that had Windows 2000 on it(40gb) and left the 15gb in there. I restarted and the RH setup continued as normal. Everything went fine and dandy, so I put back the drive with 2000 on it. But it didn't work, because I didn't configure it when I was installing RH. So, I took out the HDD with RH on it, and just left the drive with Win 2K on it. It got to the start up process and just froze....Puzzled by this I tried going into safe mode, no luck.
    I then re-installed RH for a SECOND time, this time leaving both drives in. When I started I could see both OSes, so I picked 2000. Same problem happened. Oh and by the way, I didn't do anything to the 2000 hard drive at all.

Linux Engineer
    Can you list all the drives you have in your computer? (all disk and CDROMS). When you install linux, you should have configured either LILO or GRUB to take care of this problem.
    The best things in life are free.

Just Joined!
    /dev/scd0 <---CD-ROM
    /dev/fd0 <----Floppy Drive
    /dev/hd3 <---Drive that has Linux on it
    *hde1 <------ext3
    *hde2 <------ext3
    *hde3 <------Linux Swap

/dev/hdf <----Drive that has Windows 2000 on it
    *hdf1 <----C: Partition

The first time I installed RH I used Grub, and it didn't see the other HDD. The second time, I used LILO. That time it saw the drive, but I still couldn't load 2000 because the computer would crash

Linux Engineer
    Linux notes the drives as follows:
    primary IDE controller
    -------------------------
    hda - master (C:\ in Windows)
    hdb - slave (D:\)

secondary IDE controller
    ----------------------------
    hdc - master (E:\)
    hdd - slave (F:\)

So with this in mind, hdf cannot be C:\ in Linux. C:\ will always be hda.
    Regardless, this is how I would set up your drives.
    hda - Windows
    hdb - Linux
    hdc - Your CDROM device
    Within hdb, you'll need to format the drive into different partitions. You'll at least need two partitions. One will be the swap partition and the other will be the root partition for Linux. If you are using Redhat, I believe the installer will create a third partition called boot.
    Do you have a CDRW? It seems that you do since you are using /dev/scd0.
    By the way, do you know how your system boots (ie., mine boots from floppy->cdrom->primary master)
    The best things in life are free.

Just Joined!
    Alright, so I should re-install RH and partition the drive that way? To answer your question, yeah I do have a CD burner.

Linux Guru
    Are you sure that your hard drive are hde and hdf? Do you have an extra IDE controller card installed, and in that case, why don't you use your motherboard's IDE busses? I don't think that Windows can boot from a non-primary master.

Just Joined!
    I'm 100% positive that they are hde and hdf, and I don't have an IDE controller card installed. It's a little funny because I have 4 IDE ports...Primary Primary, Primary Secondary, Secondary Primary, and Secondary Secondary. I have the two hard drives plugged into the Primary Primary port, and I have the CD Burner plugged into the Secondary Primary. With my motherboard you're supposed to put the hard drives on the either the Primary Primary of Primary Secondary ports....If you want to know it's an ASUS A7V-133 motherboard.

Linux Guru
    It might be that you will have to do a BIOS drive remapping for Windows to work with this setup. Can you post your /boot/grub/grub.conf file, and also describe what your system looked like before you installed Linux?

Just Joined!
    #boot=/dev/hde
    default=0
    timeout=10
    splashimage=(hd0,0)/grub/splash.xpm.gz
    password-md5 $1$ 8L 12$hOdmO6mo6mZEelcrwwDFEA 1
    title Red Hat Linux (2.4.18-14)
    root (hd0,0)
    kernel /vmilnas-2.4.18-14 ro root=LABEL=/hd0=ide-scsi
    initrd /initrd-2.4.18-14.ing

title DOS
    rootnoverify (hd1,0)