Find the answer to your Linux question:
Folks, I am building an HTPC with 4G RAM, 32G SSD and 1T SATA3 drive. All the HTPC will ever run is VLC. Currently, I plan to install Ubuntu but ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Please critic my partition sizes for HTPC

Folks,

I am building an HTPC with 4G RAM, 32G SSD and 1T SATA3 drive.

All the HTPC will ever run is VLC. Currently, I plan to install Ubuntu but eventually I would like to create a stripped down version of Linux that is enough to run VLC.

After going through various articles, here is what I am thinking in terms of my partition ayout

/ - Primary partition on SSD. All 32G. Includes /boot and /usr.
    swap - swap partition 8G (twice the amount of RAM)
    /var - 10G (Log files)
    /home - Rest of the 1T space (stores media)

With /boot on the SSD, I hope the system can boot quickly.

Questions:
    1. What do you think of this layout?
    2. Given that I am not using anything besides VLC, does it make sense to create /tmp as a separate partition?
    3. Any other feedback?

Thank you in advance for your help.

Regards,
    Peter

1. Looks fine, see #3 because I think there is a much better setup

2. Not really

3. SWAP is probably way too much, I know the general rule but that's really only necessary if you're hibernating your system. If you don't use hibernate, no need to waste the space. I have 4 gigs of RAM, and only 1 gig of SWAP. I sleep my system, hibernate never works right for me so I just say forget it

Also 32 gigs for your / is a bit ridiculous. This is really just your installed packages. Mine is 10 gigs and my system is bloated (I install a ridiculous amount of dev packages, as well as python stuff, apache stuff, etc...). If I were you I'd do the following:

/ -- SSD 10-15 gigs

/home -- SSD remaining

/var - 5 gigs

/extras (data/w/e you want to call it) with any videos, music, all of your bulky stuff

This way your home folder is fast as hell, you can have your documents and configs in it. Then make symbolic links to the /data (or whatever you choose to call it) in your home folder to access the rest of your stuff
    Bodhi 1.3 & Bodhi 1.4 using E17
    Dell Studio 17, Intel Graphics card, 4 gigs of RAM, E17

"The beauty in life can only be found by moving past the materialism which defines human nature and into the higher realm of thought and knowledge"

Just Joined!
    Peter,

Gentoo requires the owner of the system to build from scratch, including making the partitions. In it's handbook is an indication of how the Guru's suggest the HDD be partitioned. You might find it interesting to have a look.