Find the answer to your Linux question:
I'm still fairly new to linux (started testing around with it about 6 months ago), and I want to have multiple linux os's boot of a 500gb external usb hard ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Dual booting multiple Linux OS from External Hard Drive

I'm still fairly new to linux (started testing around with it about 6 months ago), and I want to have multiple linux os's boot of a 500gb external usb hard drive. The os's I have in mind are Ubuntu, Lubuntu, Arch, Puppy Linux, SUSE, Fedora, some sort of SliTaz, and anything else that sounds interesting as I learn more about linux. I have been able to install Ubuntu 11.10 using only 100gb of the hard drive. I created a main partition and a linux-swap partition. I tried to now also install lubuntu alongside it on a seperate partition and it seemed to work, because I went through the installation process and finished it. When I boot from the hard drive it just automatically starts Ubuntu. How can I make the computer give me a choice for which OS i want to run. I have heard that something called GRUB can do this, but I have no idea how to install, use, or what it really is. Please help.

Just Joined!
    GRUB is a bootloader, you can install it on your disk then
    (at boot, choosing the external disk with the boot priority o the boot device selector)
    he let you choose what operating system you will actually boot
    (search for grub on google image to see how it looks )
    you can install it to the disk MBR with something like

sudo grub-install <device>
    (in example:
    sudo grub-install /dev/sdb
    )

Just Joined!
    Quote Originally Posted by dberardi View Post
    GRUB is a bootloader, you can install it on your disk then
    (at boot, choosing the external disk with the boot priority o the boot device selector)
    he let you choose what operating system you will actually boot
    (search for grub on google image to see how it looks )
    you can install it to the disk MBR with something like

sudo grub-install <device>
    (in example:
    sudo grub-install /dev/sdb
    )

Thanks seemed to work grub was installed (at least that what the terminal said) haven't been able to try it out yet since I'm having trouble installing another OS. I'll mark it as solved, and hope it works when I'm able to install another OS.

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close