Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hi, I am really struggling to install Linux on a brand new Acer Aspire 5750G. I have tried with Ubuntu 10.10, 11.04, 11.10 (32bit and 64bit) and with Mint 12 ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

No way to install Linux on Acer Aspire 5750G

Hi,
    I am really struggling to install Linux on a brand new Acer Aspire 5750G.
    I have tried with Ubuntu 10.10, 11.04, 11.10 (32bit and 64bit) and with Mint 12 32bit - both from CD and USB (built with Unetbootin). I always get an error message that sounds more or less like this:

udevd[113]: '/sbin/modprobe -bv pci:V000010DEd00000DEAsv00001025sd00000505bc03sc00 i00' [201] terminated bi signal 9 (Killed)

Since I've read that nvidia optimus may be the reason of the troubles, I tried to disable the nvidia graphic card in order to use only the integrated graphic card (choosing "integrated" instead of "switchable" in the bios) but it didn't help much.

It seems that people have several troubles with this 5750G, but at least they installed Linux. I can't even find the way to install it!

Does anyone have any suggestion?

Thanks!
    Andrea

Does Ubuntu have a 'simple' graphics mode installer you could try? It might even have a text-mode installer that you could use, but it's likely to be hidden in the install disk's boot-up menu somewhere.
    Linux user #126863 - see http://linuxcounter.net/

Don't give up! Some hardware is more difficult than others, but with the multitude of linux distro's out there, you can find one that will work on your equipment. I had a Toshiba at one time that would only work with 3 of the 30 distro's I tried on it. Mint is based on ubuntu, so try a distro based on something else. Distrowatch.com has hundreds of distro's, and can be searched in a number of different ways.
    Registered Linux user #526930

Just Joined!
    Hi,
    I solved the problem! Since the troubles were caused by the presence of two graphic cards (Nvidia Optimus), I simply disabled the nvidia graphic card in the bios in order to use only the Intel integrated card (choosing "integrated" instead of "switchable"). Of course, it is a pity to renounce to the nvidia card, but if I have to choose between Linux and two graphic cards, I definitely choose Linux!

Glad to hear that you found a workable installation method. I always seem to forget about the "Switchable" graphics option!

Now that you have it installed, there should be a way to install the proper drivers for your Nvidia card.
    Jay

New users, read this first.
    New Member FAQ
    Registered Linux User #463940
    I do not respond to private messages asking for Linux help. Please keep it on the public boards.