Find the answer to your Linux question:
Need help understanding which directory to install essential system programs to its respective directory. For example, I have install programs such as BASH on the system I'm building but yet ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Understanding installation to directories. BASH, SYSVINIT, KERNEL

Need help understanding which directory to install essential system programs to its respective directory.

For example, I have install programs such as BASH on the system I'm building but yet I do so in a directory called bash-build, and I configure, compile, and install the program there. However, I need the binary files associated with BASH in its proper directory.

This is difficult because Linux is not Windows where when a program gets installed its binaries, dlls, configuration files, etc, are using in a folder named after the program itself. Linux, however, places binaries and configuration files all over the place.

And programs that depend on the binaries, etc, knows where in the directory to find it. Well, I'm don't know which folder/directory to place the binaries, nor how to spot a binary file when I see it.

Now, I have to install packages such as GRUB, BASH, SYSVINIT, COREUTILS, and LINUX-KERNEL; however, doing so is not exactly intuitive. LinuxFromScratch doesn't really break this down to the user. I've been looking for sites to really break down the installation process and where exactly where the source for the installed program is to go.

Installing GRUB wasn't that difficult because it is a smart program. All I had to do was used the --prefix=/path/to/root/dir option to tell grub explicit what I am using as my root directory. It installs the binaries, or whatever it installs, to it respective folder under my self-made FHS compliant directory tree.

However, this isn't easy with the other software. My question is how do I install BASH, SYSVINIT, and KERNEL, so that the binary is in it's proper place on the system so that programs that use them can find them. I haven't found a book that really breaks this stuff down.

There is a filesystem hierarchy standard:
    Filesystem Hierarchy Standard

There is well defined order, just not the same as on windows
    You must always face the curtain with a bow.