Find the answer to your Linux question:
I recently got a External hard drive for myself and i was wondering if it was neccessary to format it and partition it considering the size of it. And if ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

USB Mass Storage Problems: Maxtor 5000DV 120GB USB/Firewire

I recently got a External hard drive for myself and i was wondering if it was neccessary to format it and partition it considering the size of it. And if so how can i go about doing it because i was able make it accessible by using the following:
    Code:
    mkdir /mnt/usbhd 
    mount -a /dev/sda1 /mnt/usbhd
    All of the above was done from root. Now this is where it gets strange if i am able to mount why can't i format it and partition it i have tried but it doesn't seem to recognize the partitiion that is there. Sayign the cylinders are 14946 where as that is bigger than 1024 and will cause errors to occur.

I have tried looking but i haven't been that successful find good documentation about how to add this drive and give it read and write access for me as a normal user rather than using root. I am asking this because i was trying to download files from gnutella into it but they just went the the /tmp folder for incomplete files when they were done why is that and how can that be corrected.

Linux Guru
    What do you mean that you can't partition and format it? In what way can't you do that?

Just Joined!
    Well as for what i mean i am referring to the mere fact that in the beginning i was able to see the drive but for some reason or the other when i try to use the command mentioned above for mounting it it tells me i need to specify a filesystem type.

How can i resolve this issue because i can see the drive using......

Code:

fdisk -l

Just Joined!
    I would really like to resolve this issue if someone knows how i can access this drive again please can you help because i am fresh out of ideas.

Linux Guru
    Ah, OK. Then, run "fdisk -l /dev/sda" again and post the output here. Also, run "file -s /dev/sda1" and see what that returns.