Find the answer to your Linux question:
I am dual booting Windows 7 and Windows 8. Before Windows 8 I was dual booting Win 7 and Linux Mint, which was hosed when I installed Windows 8. I ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Triple Boot Question

I am dual booting Windows 7 and Windows 8. Before Windows 8 I was dual booting Win 7 and Linux Mint, which was hosed when I installed Windows 8.

I would like to reinstall Linux Mint on my PC for a triple boot. I don't want to do it using a VM.

I have free space allocated. I guess my question is will Grub pick up Mint and the Windows 8 boot which includes Windows 7, or will it pick up all three OS's? The reading I have done on this issue seems to indicate Windows 7 will not be picked up by Grub, but can be booted when selecting "Windows 8 Boot Environment". Is this a risky proposition? I have been dual booting for years with no problems but never tried this.

My first post! Any help and advise would be appreciated.

Just Joined!
    I thought I would give this a bump.

Just Joined!
    Looks like I'm talking to myself.

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Just Joined!
    you need to wait for people to answer. you're not their top priority. As for me...sorry, i don't have the knowledge to help you. Hang in there. they have an awesome community

One day is not a long time to wait on a forum staffed by volunteers and hobbyists. Sometimes it can take a while before the right person sees and answers a question.
    On that note, I might have some info for you.
    The most reliable method of dual-booting Linux and Windows is to install Linux first. The reason being that the Windows installer will overwrite other bootloaders.

I've not used Windows 8, so I can't say anything about anything concerning it. But GRUB usually does a great job of detecting and loading various OSs, including Windows.
    In fact, if installing Win8 started the problem, mint might still be on the drive. You can boot up a LiveCD, open a terminal window and execute:
    Code:
    fdisk -l
    If there is a Linux partition there, you can re-install GRUB. If it's not there, then installing Mint to the available space will do the job.

Do this after backing up all important data, though... just in case!
    Jay

New users, read this first.
    New Member FAQ
    Registered Linux User #463940
    I do not respond to private messages asking for Linux help. Please keep it on the public boards.

Just Joined!
    I am aware of how these boards work. I've been using Linux since Mandrake 9.0, so I just assumed the post got lost in the shuffle. No harm.

As for the question I posed, it is important to understand that when dual booting Win 8 and Win 7, the boot files are installed in Windows 8 not Windows 7 (leave it to Microsoft). I had grub installed already. After several days of research, I prepared the Windows 8 partition using Gparted and 'flagging the partition' so that Grub, once reinstalled, would have 3 entries. It didn't work. I got the Windows 8 Bootloader. Mint was still on its own partition, but no matter what I tried I was unable to install Grub or for that matter, mount Mint. I just got rid of it at that point.

I was only using Cinnamon in Mint anyway, so it really was no great loss. I am waiting for Ubuntu 12.04 (I hate Unity) before I try again as I consider Ubuntu 11.10 and Mint 12 transitional at best. Gnome-shell just does not play well with ATI drivers. It is getting better, but they have a way to go before Gnome-shell is stable. Catalyst 12.1 is a nice start.

Thanks for the input.