Find the answer to your Linux question:
Here is my situation: I have Mandriva 2011 installed, which I have basically just tried out. However, it didn't have all the drivers I needed. Then I found Ubuntu 12, ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Installing Ubuntu over Mandriva

Here is my situation: I have Mandriva 2011 installed, which I have basically just tried out. However, it didn't have all the drivers I needed. Then I found Ubuntu 12, which answered all my questions, boot and drivers.
    I also have Windows 7.
    So what can I do to install Ubuntu on the Mandriva partitions and preserve the (working) dual-boot situation? I have searched and searched forums and google. Nobody really addresses this. Actual Ubuntu install instructions are not clear enough.
    The install program gives you 3 options: alongside with (multiple) OS, use entire disk, and something else. I am not sure how to proceed with 'something else' to accomplish the following:
    1) choose the right ext4 partition to install root,
    2) have the dual boot from Mandriva overwritten to Ubuntu.
    Thanks in advance for your help.

I can be found either 40 miles west of Chicago, in Chicago, or in a galaxy far, far away.
    Boot the Ubuntu Live CD/DVD and from a command-line window, run fdisk to remove the Mandriva partitions. Then, install Ubuntu. It will happily reused the space removed, and install grub2 so you can boot both Ubuntu and Windoze.
    Sometimes, real fast is almost as good as real time.
    Just remember, Semper Gumbi - always be flexible!

Just Joined!
    Thank you, Rubberman; I'll go from there.