Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hello Everyone. So a couple of weeks ago I posted in the "New here, say hello" thread, or something like that. I want to remind everyone I am a freaking ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Right. Time has come to switch. Need all the advice I can get.

Hello Everyone.
    So a couple of weeks ago I posted in the "New here, say hello" thread, or something like that. I want to remind everyone I am a freaking newb . So I will need all the help you can/want to give me. So lets get down to it.

My Laptop:

Processor: Intel Core i3 330M. 2 cores, 4 threads ( don't know if it will help)

Memory: 4GB DDR3 at 532MHz

Motherboard: Packard Bell EasyNote TM86. Chipset Model: Havendale/Clarkdale. Southbridge: Intel HM55

Graphic Card: Nvidia 320M 1GB

HDD: Hitachi Travelstar 313GB at 5400RPM

Optic Device: Optiarc AD-7585H (which for some reason ruins every DVD I try to write, funny huh?)

Audio: Realtek something ...using speccy...not very accurate.

Network: Realtek RTL8192SE Wireless LAN 802.11n PCI-E NIC
    and
    Broadcom NetLink (TM) Gigabit Ethernet.

Now, before you start shouting at me why I bought this piece of garbage, let me tell you I had a limited budget and was pressured by time . Given other circumstances, I would have thought longer about it.

What i want to achieve

I want to use acronis to save the current install of windows on some DVD's in case I need it in the future; it has most of my programs and settings, and installing windows bit by bit, for me, its like nailing your face to a justin beiber poster.(Isn't that always fun)
    So any advice on using acronis would be helpful. I read some of their documentation, but its very generic, I'm interested in stuff they won't put in the manual, like how to avoid ruining the IMG or what settings to use.

After that I want to install 2 linux distro's.
    Backtrack 5 (64 - if it matters) and Ubuntu(latest stable 64 as well)
    But before I do anything, I came here and found an article about how to have the same kernel folder or something like that, I am not too sure, as it was over my understanding level ). He/She (the author) talked about having the boot folder closer to the centre of the HDD as it would boot faster, and that having the same folder for any number of distros would help you a lot. Hopefully in the future that won't be the case anymore. So, how should I go about it.
    Also, I would like to know if my wireless card is compatible with BT5 list and if it can "inject", or something like that.
    I will go to Italy soon and will stay there for just 3-4 months, which is not enough time to validate getting a contract for broadband. And I can't stand the mobile carrier's dongle internet as it feels like 56Kb all over again. I grew up on dial-up and I felt the pain of every byte downloaded. So I want to take advantage of the BT tools and get myself a wireless from the neighbours. Hope I don't reveal too much.
    -----------------------------------------------------------
    Also if you could point me to a tutorial about the linux folder structure, I really need to understand it. I have some linux for newbies books and I am working on understanding more, but it takes time, as you well know. But I feel like I need to grasp the folder structure, so I won't get confused after the switch.

In closing I would like to apologize about my english, as its my 3rd language and still struggling with it. I would also like to apologize for the lack of lyrical sense in my sentences.
    And I would like to THANK YOU for reading this, even if you decide not to help,regardless of the reason. You've taken the time to read all the way down here, and I trully appreciate that. So THANK YOU so much.

Greetings! Glad to hear that you're putting plenty of thought and preparation into your switch to Linux.

Looking at your hardware, I don't see anything that should be an issue. The wireless card is a fairly common type, so Ubuntu should have no trouble detecting it. Some folks report having some trouble with nVidia drivers, but there is plenty of documentation available on that subject.
    And using a LiveCD can do wonders in testing hardware compatibility.
    Never having used BackTrack, I can't give any real information on that. I have read that wireless on BT can be:
    like nailing your face to a justin beiber poster.(Isn't that always fun)
    Other than that, it sounds like you have a good plan for getting everything in order.
    Jay

New users, read this first.
    New Member FAQ
    Registered Linux User #463940
    I do not respond to private messages asking for Linux help. Please keep it on the public boards.

I can be found either 40 miles west of Chicago, in Chicago, or in a galaxy far, far away.
    Creating a system backup of the current (if still current) Windows system to restore if you need is a good plan. I boot with a live CD/DVD/USB drive and use either the linux "dd" command (disc dump) or cat (concatenate) to copy the entire system disc to an external drive, such as a USB drive. I usually compress it inline so that the total space taken is minimized. Then if necessary I can restore the entire system, including boot sector, without much difficulty. In any case, before you go and wipe your system, I would recommend that you install a virtual machine manager on your Windows 7 system, such as Oracle's VirtualBox (VBox - free, open source), and install/run linux in a virtual machine first, until you are comfortable that you can do what you need. I run RedHat servers in VBox on my work Win7 laptop without problems at all, and on my Linux system at home (Scientific Linux 6.2 - a Red Hat Enterprise Linux 6.2 clone), I run other Linux versions (and Windows) for testing or specific application needs.
    Sometimes, real fast is almost as good as real time.
    Just remember, Semper Gumbi - always be flexible!